The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an international financial institution and a specialized United Nations agency dedicated to eradicating rural poverty and hunger. It does so by investing in rural people. IFAD finances programmes and projects that increase Agricultural Productivity and raise rural incomes, and advocates at the local, national and international level for policies that contribute to rural transformation.Apply Now
Post's organizational accountabilityThe Financial Operations Department (FOD) is tasked with managing IFAD’s financial resources proactively and making them available as needed for the Fund’s programme of work and budget. As one of the components of FOD, the Treasury Services Division’s (TRE) mandate is to:
- Safeguard IFAD’s resources through management of investment and cash operations with the aim to preserve capital and maximise returns within the provisions of IFAD’s Financial Regulations;
- Formulate and implement investment and cash operations strategies and policies;
- Ensure prompt availability of cash for IFAD operations through prudent liquidity management;
Key results expected / Major functional activitiesMajor functional activities:
- Analyse IFAD’s current ALM procedures and propose realistic improvements
- Participate in the production processes of ALM reports and document them
- Design a comprehensive and robust data model to prepare the future implementation of a more sophisticated or integrated ALM System
- Support the FPM team current models and data interfaces to produce and deliver a comprehensive ALM report within 6 months of the consultancy start date,
- Propose enhancements to the ALM framework, within 6 months of the consultancy start date
- Provide Financial modelling expertise within the ALM function to support ad-hoc Analysis and projects
- Leverage on IFAD financial model and review/integrate data gathering, gap analysis and impact analysis to support the production of ALM reports.
Impact of Key results / Key performance indicators
- Integration of ALM strategies with internal data base system, including data gathering and reporting.
- Devise a new ALM report using existing reports produced by treasury and integrate it with areas not currently covered
- Review and enhancement of the existing ALM framework
- Provision of technical specifications to Departmental IT infrastructure supporting data gathering for ALM analysis and periodic reporting and contribute to the process for data extraction.
Representation / Work relationshipsFor this role, the consultant should utilize contacts extending throughout the organization including risk management unit, internal auditors and evaluation officers. Externally work relationships require collaboration and Coordination to ensure the effective implementation of financial rules and procedures. S/He will also be in direct contact with risk managers and treasury counterparts in other IFI and UN organizations and with senior representatives of key financial service providers and counterparties.
- Strategic thinking and organizational development: Personal influence (Level 1)
- Learning, sharing knowledge and innovating: Challenges, innovates and contributes to a learning culture (Level 2)
- Focusing on clients: Contributes to a client-focused culture (Level 2)
- Problem Solving and decision making: Solves complex problems and makes decisions that have wider corporate impact (Level 2)
- Managing time, resources and information: Coordinates wider use of time, information and/or resources (Level 2)
- Team Work: Fosters a cohesive team environment (Level 2)
- Communicating and negotiating: Acquires and uses a wide range of communication styles and skills (Level 2)
- Building relationships and partnerships: Builds and maintains strategic partnerships internally and externally (Level 2)
- Authoritative knowledge of the principles and concepts of financial management and risk management. .
- Candidates who possess a working knowledge of SQL, VBA (and/ or other programming language, for example MatLab), Microsoft Excel object model. Knowledge of Microsoft Access object model, are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Capacity to develop and adapt policies approaches and models to meet emerging system needs and to enhance the continuing accuracy, integrity and accountability of the Fund’s financial resources.
- Ability to identify and analyze gaps and systemic issues, formulate opinions and make conclusions and recommendations to resolve these issues.
- Analytical and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in a diverse organization tailoring language, tone, style and format to match audience.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equitable consideration of women and men in all assigned HR activities.
- Excellent knowledge of information technology systems and tools as they pertain to financial systems
Minimum recruitment qualifications
- Advanced university degree from an accredited institution in accounting, finance, business Administration or other job related field.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant working experience in the area of risk management and/or treasury-middle office accrued in a financial institution or in a management consultancy company. Those candidates with experience of working in international financial institutions or government agencies are particularly encouraged to apply.