Technical Advisor/Subject Matter Expert, US Department of State, Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL) Company Profile: MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, DC metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia, and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with more than 80 organizations across all sectors of international development with clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as the Department of State, the World Bank, USAID, and the UNDP to national and local governments, NGOs, think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com . Proposal Summary: MSI is recruiting one or two Technical Advisors/Subject Matter Experts for an evaluation services task order issued under the US Department of State Performance Management and Evaluation Services (PMES) IDIQ Contract mechanism. This task order will procure evaluation services for the Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL) in response to: The Department of State's Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL) is seeking proposals to evaluate its collaboration with the Government of Mexico on prisons programs.. the purpose of this evaluation is to inform INL's future provision of effective prison assistance in Mexico. The evaluation will seek to develop an understanding of what was and was not effective in the program to date and translate that into specific recommendations for future Design" id="link" class="link">Program Design and execution. A secondary purpose is to inform an INL-wide policy decision on whether accreditation is an effective approach to building international corrections capacities to hold inmates in safe, secure, humane, and transparent conditions. The Technical Advisor/Subject Matter Experts will support and help guide the evaluation design, Data Collection and Analysis, plus report writing .. Position Summary: The technical advisor(s)/subject matter expert(s) will support the team lead ensure the submission of high-quality, relevant, accurate and timely deliverables responsive to task order and client needs. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please. Reasonable Accommodations: MSI is dedicated to hiring an inclusive workforce. If you would like to request reasonable accommodations during the application process, please email MSI.Dept.HRRecruiting@tetratechinc.onmicrosoft.com with Reasonable Accommodations in the title. Our recruitment team looks forward to engaging in an interactive process to provide reasonable accommodations for candidates. MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. Responsibilities:Apply Now
- Provide expert subject matter guidance to support and direct the implementation of the task order contract, while ensuring compliance with DOS requirements and regulations and MSI policies and procedures.
- Advise the team on unique challenges and opportunities facing the subject program under evaluation, as well as prison reform in Mexico, that need to be considered in evaluation design.
- Participate in the development of evaluation tools including details of data collection protocols for surveys, focus groups and key informant interviews and plans for collection of all secondary data. Incorporate guidance from subject matter experts, the client and MSI.
- Play key role in data collection to be carried out in up to 12 states in Mexico, focused on assessing levels of violence within prisons, inmate escapes, riots, recidivism, etc. Will create a retroactive control group if possible.
- Support a rigorous analysis of the data. Also writing, and revising based on feedback, evaluation deliverables, which will likely include an evaluation report.
- Ensure analysis and reporting comply with DOS policies and evaluation industry best practices.
- Ensure adherence to high levels of Evaluation Ethics and Respondent Confidentiality.
- A master's degree in a relevant social science, International Relations, security studies, or a comparable discipline or relevant work experience;
- At least seven years' experience providing expert guidance and/or management on Criminal Justice reform programming:
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in ways that enhance evaluation's effectiveness; and
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Spanish.
- Deep knowledge of corrections operations and management, including experience at the assistant warden or equivalent level, as well as experience administrative management experience at the organization's headquarters or regional office;
- Knowledge of Mexico's security sector, preferably the corrections system, specifically, and relevant portions of Mexico's legal framework;
- Experience working with the government of Mexico and non-governmental organizations operating in the security field preferred;
- Experience participating in evaluations of security and/or criminal justice reform programs in Latin America, preferably related to prisons;
- Familiarity with the Merida Initiative, a partnership to fight organized crime and support Human Rights and the rule of law. Areas of collaboration under the Merida Initiative include building investigative and prosecutorial capacity and reforming Mexico's state and federal prisons;
- Strong interpersonal, Data Management, reporting, writing and analytical skills; attention to detail and the ability to be flexible in a dynamic environment, exemplified self-management, project management and strategic thinking and the skills and ability to gather and maintain information.