WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
Who we are looking for: this recruitment is aimed at recruiting Consultants as Project Managers to support digital assistance operations.
What we offer: an international consultancy contract of up to 11 months from start date will be offered to the selected candidate(s).
Workplace: due to current travel restrictions in most areas of the world, the incumbent is expected to work remote until travels will be allowed. Future deployments to the field are to be expected to both Emergency and steady operations.
Once the current travel limitation will be lifted, protracted missions in the field should be expected.
Technology and connectivity are rapidly reaching some of the most vulnerable people and places affected by crises. As one of the main humanitarian actors, WFP has the opportunity and the obligation to leverage technology and data to better know and serve those in need, this by digitally transforming the way it works. Such ambition led to a plan aimed at establishing, integrating, and mainstreaming the core elements of an end-to-end digital business process.
The objective of the plan is to support WFP’s strategy to ensure that assistance is digitized and that its services may also be offered to partners and governments.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The Technology Division (TEC, formerly known as IT) is the digital business engine of the World Food Programme, providing the business with multi-pronged and resilient technical capabilities to respond, with the required agility, in humanitarian operations, be they manmade or in a natural disaster setting. In 2020, the TEC Division will increase its activities to meet the constantly growing demand from the organization and implement initiatives related to Digital Transformation.
The WFP IT Emergency Preparedness and Response Branch (TECF) is responsible to prepare for, coordinate and manage WFP’s Technology response to emergencies operations, including global and often local leadership of the Emergency Telecommunications Cluster (ETC), rapid deployment of Fast IT, Telecommunications and Support Services Team (FITTEST), WFP’s IT Emergency Response capacity, and support to digital assistance operations through SCOPE and other corporate tools.
Protracted missions in the field is to be expected. While deployed to a regional or country office to support digital assistance services in emergencies or scale-up operations, the incumbent will primarily contribute to SCOPE and Cash-Based Transfers (CBT) implementations.
For further information about FITTEST please click here: https://www.facebook.com/wfp.fittest
The incumbent will report to the Digital Assistance Surge Team Lead. Under the overall responsibility of the Surge Team Lead, while backstopping or being deployed to operations, the incumbent will also manage SCOPE and Cash-Based Transfers implementation in the regional or country offices.
- Support the digital assistance surge team in the deployment of digital assistance service in the field or from remote;
- Assist the digital assistance surge team on all SCOPE/ CBT related activities such as registrations, assessments, project Design and project management;
- Facilitate the collaboration between all relevant WFP and non-WFP counterparts (e.g. programme, senior management, NGO and government partners) on SCOPE CBT related matters during field missions;
- Assess needs and required resources in digital assistance projects, or other projects in the field;
- Document all relevant processes as needed in the operations, including contributing to the development of any required Standard Operating Procedures.
- Ensure of the application of corporate standards related to beneficiary Data Protection;
- Record and report to the digital assistance surge team lead and country office management on all relevant issues;
- Collect and consolidate recommendations, through inputs of technical experts, and proposal for upgrades, improvements or re-build of systems/ equipment/ services within the area of expertise;
- Represent IT emergency preparedness and response in local events as required; and
- Any other duty as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
University degree in Technology, Business Management, Humanitarian Development, or another degree with relevant work experience.
Minimum 3 years of progressive experience in the relevant field.
Technical Experience, Skills & Knowledge
Possession of a combination of broad business skills and experience including project management; general management skills in business and public sector contexts, technology, CBT, programmes, monitoring, evaluation, and business Analysis are desired.
Competencies and Behaviours:
- Knowledge of SCOPE, CBT or other beneficiary management system is an asset;
- Knowledge of and hands-on experience in project management in humanitarian contexts;
- Ability and willingness to operate in hard, at times extreme, living conditions, to respond and travel to emergencies within 24 hours, to operate in distributed / decentralised teams and to engage with and support partners;
- Ability to work independently through appropriate personal initiative and regular follow-ups;
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills with the ability to influence and adapt communication styles to different situations and individuals;
- Leadership skills as relationship-builder with a facilitative nature and strong business partnering skills towards colleagues and stakeholders;
- Highly developed cognitive capacity; and
- Behavioural flexibility.
Fluency in oral and written English with an intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is desirable.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
WFP offers a competitive compensation package, which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Deadline for applications: 25 June 2020 at 11:59pm Rome time
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.