Social Impact is a Global Development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity Building Services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and Economic Growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral Development Banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
The Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) would like a contractor to Design and implement a randomized control trial on interventions to increase electricity grid connections in Ouagadougou with a potential extension to Bobo Dioulasso, in partnership with SONABEL, the electricity utility. The RCT is expected to address the following two interventions:
- A credit intervention, ideally in which the connection cost is amortized into the electricity bill – terms of credit such as loan term and interest rate may be varied;
- An intervention to reduce the administrative burden of connecting to the grid.
The period of performance for this project is anticipated to last 26 months.
SI is seeking a Supervisory Economist consultant to serve as Team Leader of this RCT. S/He will lead the overall RCT, ensure quality throughout implementation, and oversee the team. This is limited to an expatriate position, and is a consulting assignment, with intermittent work over the period of performance.
- Lead the design of the field experiment following economic theory.
- Lead the survey question design.
- Coordinate with implementing partners such as MCC, SONABEL, and the Ministry of Energy.
- Coordinate the timely submission of deliverables to the client.
- Supervise the team of expat and local national consultants to include the Data Manager, Field Work Manager, and Electricity Connection Experts.
- Oversee and ensure quality of local Data Collection firm.
- Provide regular updates and liaise on behalf of the project team to SI, MCC and the government of Burkina Faso (GOBF).
- Master’s degree in Economics, Public Policy or other related field required. PhD in Economics preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in international development, data collection and economic Analysis with significant experience in field experiments.
- Prior experience with randomized control trials (RCTs) and computer-assisted personal interviewing methods (CAPI).
- Experience with data cleaning and analysis using Stata or another similar platform.
- Experience with firm and household surveys.
- Experience in the Energy Sector and/or with RCTs in Burkina Faso preferred.
- Proven ability to manage teams and liaise effectively with implementing partners.
- Oral and written fluency in English and French.