The main objective of the Joint EU-UNDP Rural Development Programme – Phase II (ENPARD III – Abkhazia component) aims to enhance the resilience of rural communities in Abkhazia through a bottom-up, integrated, gender-sensitive and environmentally sustainable approach to agriculture and rural development. The proposed initiative will be complementary and build on the results obtained under the previous phase of intervention (ENPARD II Abkhazia Component), which was implemented by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) together with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the Action Against Hunger (AAH) and the Danish Refugee Council (DRC). The overall objective of the proposed project is to promote inclusive and sustainable growth, creating employment and livelihoods for the poor and excluded in Abkhazia. The project aims to bring changes through 3 specific objectives:Apply Now
- To strengthen Abkhazia-wide coordination platform on agriculture and rural development;
- To enhance competitiveness of agriculture and improve rural economic diversification;
- To improve environment and sustainable management of natural resources
Duties and ResponsibilitiesUnder the supervision of the Project Manager, and in coordination with the project team, the CARD Strategic Planning Specialist will ensure overall strategic direction and operational management of the CARD and delivery of results in accordance with the project documents and work plans and other joint agreements between the stakeholders, and in particular:
- In collaboration with the ENPARD Project Manager, ensure that the Centre for Agriculture and Rural Development is well managed with clear objectives, work plans, and relevant targets;
- Provide assistance to local communities, including residents of rural communities, and small and medium-sized enterprises (SME) to enhance livelihoods of rural residents;
- Contribute to CARD analytical works and knowledge management;
- Any other tasks as assigned by the Project Manager.
- Coordinate the work of CARD, to ensure timely implementation of CARD activities, including reporting on progress vis-à-vis planned activities and expected outputs, forward planning of CARD activities and budget expenditures, activity scheduling, monitoring of work/results and reporting;
- Supports CARD experts in identifying advisory needs of local communities in terms of strategic planning, local development, economic development and other;
- Support the preparation of the terms of reference for external consultants and local experts as required.
- Support conceptualization, and roll out of activities aimed at promoting the participation of farmers in initiative groups and develop a robust process for monitoring the implementation of the activities of CARD from a perspective of sustainable agriculture;
- Together with the ENPARD Project Officer works to strengthen linkages between CARD supported initiative groups to the work of the LAGs;
- Prepare updates to the Project Manager with situation analysis in the field of agriculture, local and rural economic development, when required.
- Facilitate in collection, analysis and interpretation of data in the field of agriculture and rural development in Abkhazia. Contribute to drafting and reviewing of documentation (reports, surveys, project documents, electronic sources), as well as best practices that may be relevant to ENPARD focus. Ensure availability of an up-to-date information on all critical issues related to the CARD activities;
- After clearance and in consultation with the ENPARD Project Manager, represents CARD during the public events, PR and media activities, ensure the proper communication of CARD results through UNDP communication channels and in accordance with the EU visibility guidelines.
- In collaboration with the ENPARD Project Manager, ensure that the Centre for Agriculture and Rural Development is well managed, with clear objectives, work plans, and relevant targets as exemplified by an annual work plan and quarterly work plan revisions;
- Carry out/participate in at least 30 meetings with partners and beneficiaries at district level;
- Hold at least 20 meetings with CARD experts;
- Conduct written and verbal assessments of farming enterprises and large household businesses agriculture business plans, and support with one-on-one consultations on agriculture technology, and available extension services;
- Prepare strategic notes on agriculture production and distribution.
- Lead the production of at least 7 regular market analysis (one per district in Abkhazia).
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Act as a team player and facilitate team work;
- Ability to manage conflicts at workplace and with partners/stakeholders;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple priorities;
- Able to think quickly, assess a situation and make a sound decision;
- Ability to prepare and follow a delivery schedule;
- Ability to follow standard safety procedures and regulations;
- Willingness, enthusiasm and ability to meet the assigned tasks on time.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture Sciences, Management, Social Sciences, Economics, Business Administration, or related field; an advanced degree (master’s degree or equivalent) would be a strong asset (minimum requirement: Bachelor’s degree - 5 points; Master's degree - additional 3 points)
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience in managing teams, organizations or project components (minimum requirement: 3 to 5 years – 14 points; More than 5 years – additional 4 points);
- Knowledge of agriculture in Abkhazia with a particular focus on communities, rural development and advisory services to farmers would be a strong asset;
- Proven experience in successfully building partnerships with external stakeholders (1 to 3 years – 9 points; Demonstrable knowledge of agriculture in Abkhazia with a particular focus on communities, rural development and advisory services to farmers – additional 5 points);
- Proven organizational and communication skills, ability to work in a team;
- Experienced and advanced user of computers and office software packages.
- Good oral and written communication skills in Russian.
- Knowledge of Abkhaz is a strong asset. Knowledge of English is an asset.