Review and oversee the implementation of RBA’s regional External Communications strategy
- Review RBA’s regional communications strategy based on corporate communications goals and priorities and oversee its implementation, in collaboration with the Regional Service Center in Addis Ababa and BERA.
- Assess the impact of RBA’s communication strategy and make adjustments accordingly.
- Ensure alignment of RBA’s regional communications strategy with the bureau’s new partnership approach.
- Integrate relevant elements of RBA’s renewed Strategic Offer into its regional communications strategy, including RBA’s flagship and lighthouse initiatives.
- Integrate issue-based advocacy into the communications strategy around key priority areas relevant to Africa.
- Ensure key results and relevant success stories are incorporated into strategic communications outreach.
Lead international media outreach
- Liaise directly with UN correspondents and international media outlets based in the United States and elsewhere to increase the global visibility of UNDP’s Africa work.
- Promote, advocate and raise awareness around UNDP activities, results, flagship initiatives through a variety of communication vehicles, such as roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews, report launches, etc.
- Promote UNDP’s Africa work with special attention to results and impact through media outreach, including social Media Platforms and communication tools as appropriate;
- Proactively market UNDP’s programme work by regularly pitching UNDP success stories and placing UNDP experts for interviews and commentaries in print and multimedia outlets.
- Draft and/or edit a range of materials, including press releases and advisories, news briefs, fact sheets for inclusion in media kits and further public outreach.
- Ensure articles, press releases, stories, blogs and publications are posted on the UNDP Africa regional website and contribute to the overall direction of the webpages.
- Monitor and analyze media coverage in the region and share information with the Regional Bureau and the BERA HQ Communications Group.
- Provide communications support to UNDP senior management visiting the region.
- Foster outreach partnerships with new media, innovation groups and social media influential who can help UNDP achieve its global and regional objectives.
Market UNDP’s Africa work globally
- Project UNDP as a substantive thought leader within Africa, promoting its mandate, mission and purpose via effective communication, promoting UNDP’s principles as a tangible value proposition with regional audiences.
- Work closely with economists and experts in the bureau to market UNDP/RBA publications, and position UNDP Africa as a thought leader in major conferences and other opportunities for external communication.
- Support key relationships with HQ partners through targeted outreach and advocacy.
- In collaboration with BERA HQ/ NY and the Regional Service Centre (RSC) in Addis Ababa and other RBA regional and sub-regional offices, increase coverage and understanding of UNDP’s Africa work through strategic media and/or donor outreach using innovative communication tools and various types of media including digital and social media.
- In collaboration with BERA HQ, and based on their close understanding of regional expertise, guides the production of results-based communications materials for distribution to donors and other key constituents.
- Support regional and global public campaigns that promote UNDP as a development partner in Africa and influence the development agenda based on current program and new initiatives.
Strategic guidance and training
- Provide direct support to the RBA Director on messaging, positioning and interview techniques.
- Work with the RBA Director to produce op-eds and speeches, organize interviews and support his country visits and attendance of flagship conferences and events.
- Where needed, assist senior officials working in Africa with their own media outreach efforts and provide strategic training to them in close collaboration with the communication team at BERA.
- Liaise with the Regional Service Centre in Addis Ababa and other RBA regional and sub-regional offices to guide country offices on timely responses to reputational management inquiries raised by media and donors, in close consultation with the Communications Group at HQ.
- Work with RBA units on how to share information internally. Provide advice and feedback on writing, positioning and presentation.
Knowledge Development and Management
- Shares a strong culture of knowledge management and knowledge sharing in the team.
- Actively engages in relevant UNDP’s Communities of Practice and other practice networks, within UNDP and in the broader UN landscape.
- Stimulates the use of blogs, social media, community of practice to ensure wide dissemination of positions, events, debates on the topics covered by the team;
- Ensures the continuous collation of lessons learnt and best practices in the area of communications for development.
- Master's degree or equivalent in communications, Public Relations, marketing, media relations, Journalism, International Relations, development or another relevant field.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience in one or more of the following areas: public relations, communications, journalism or advocacy, of which 3-5 years at the international level required;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in media relations and/or advocacy campaigns at the international level, using traditional and social media, multi-media and a variety of platforms required;
- Good understanding of Africa’s development challenges and priorities, and
- Understanding of international development issues and previous experience with a multilateral or UN organization is a strong asset
- Fluency in French and English is required