ESG - Social Safeguards Support to Operations Background of this search: The Environmental and Social Solutions Unit (ESG) of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) is responsible for ensuring that IDB financed projects and other activities are environmentally and socially sustainable and comply with the Bank’s environmental and social policies. Specialists in ESG provide the Bank and its borrowers with guidance on environmental and social safeguard issues and participate in project teams, providing technical input on social and environmental issues during project preparation/due-diligence and supervision. The team’s mission: ESG is seeking an experienced and highly motivated social consultant to join a group of social and environmental professionals that provide Technical Support, direction and leadership in promoting the Bank's strategic environmental and social priorities ensuring that IDB financed projects and other activities are environmentally and socially sustainable. The Consultant will support the Design and implementation of the Bank's operations and will ensure they comply with the IDB's safeguards policies and internationally recognized best practices. What you’ll do: The broad objective of the consultancy is to support ESG in the preparation and supervision of high risk and/or complex public-sector projects for countries in LAC. The consultant will provide guidance on social safeguard issues as member of project teams, generally working alongside environmental specialists from ESG, during project preparation and supervision. The selected consultant will:Apply Now
- Support ESG in the preparation and supervision of projects in the public sector focusing on the environmental aspects.
- Support ESG on an "as needed basis" in the performance of the social/environmental safeguards review of proposed operations as part of the policy compliance assurance process (Environmental and Social Strategy preparation, due diligence preparation, Environmental and Social Management Report preparation, and project supervision) and its documentation.
- Support ESG in the development and management of research and Training Programs.
- Support ESG in tracking and reporting project data, especially in the area of safeguard performance.
- Support ESG staff in the preparation of, key documents including but not limited to aide memoires, technical cooperation proposals, and terms of reference for specific environmental assessment and management activities related to projects assigned.
- Citizenship: You are a citizen of one of our 48-member countries.
- Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB Group.
- Education: Master’s degree or equivalent in Social studies, Urban Planning, International Development or a related social field.
- Experience: A minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience in research, social Analysis, academic teaching, work in Development Projects. Knowledge of the IDB’s social safeguards policies and at least ten year of experience in managing social impact assessments at a Multi-lateral development bank is required, including experience in involuntary resettlement, indigenous people, gender in development, and other social policies. In addition, understanding of consultation processes and mechanisms. Knowledge on social context in Latin America is highly desirable.
- Languages: Fluency in spoken and written English and Spanish, Portuguese desirable.
- Technical knowledge – knowledge of and experience in implementing the IDB’s various policies relating to environmental and social safeguards.
- Project Management – experience leading the environmental and social due diligence and supervision of Bank financed projects.
- Communication, Collaboration and Teamwork – excellent communication skills in English and Spanish with positive experiences collaborating with IDB clients, internal and external.
- Type of contract: Consultant (CNS), Full-Time.
- Length of contract: 12 months.
- Location: The work will be performed at the IDB Headquarters in Washington, DC with missions to the project countries assigned as per portfolio in LAC.
- Responsible person: Senior Environmental Specialist (VPS/ESG).
- Requirements: You must be a citizen of one of the IDB’s 48 member countries and have no family members currently working at the IDB Group.