Provides technical assistance and support to programs. Collects, complies, and analyzes information relevant to programs. Provides administrative and project support, in addition to communication efforts related to program management and execution. Ensures compliance with internal and external regulations. Monitors budget for programs and develops monitoring system for reviewing project status. Ensures completion of program while adhering to budget, scope, and schedule requirements. Develops/Reviews work plans, prepares presentations, and supports other related program objectives and deliverables.
- Communicates with, supports, and guides the in-country programs regarding their health database development, maintenance and improvement needs.
- Provides support and leadership to design and develop database applications in response to FHI 360’s information needs, using a mixture of DHIS 2, MS Excel, Access, VB, Java, Jasper Reports, ODK and SQL/MySQL.
- Trains and supervises others in specific data processing and design tasks. Reviews output indicator calculations in databases, and export/import of data between different software applications, while maintaining data integrity.
- Advises on incorporation of data quality checks in program databases.
- Helps with programming data visualization products, including producing regular high-quality analysis products at country program level.
- Provides guidance and monitors adherence to standards related to data security, including user access and database documentation, performing backup and recovery of program databases.
- Develops and ensures adherence to policies that ensure the security and confidentiality of FHI 360’s/MoH identifiable health data, including adherence to relevant national and international standards.
- Documents best practices in HMIS and disseminates appropriately.
There are 31 FHI 360 development competencies, of greatest focus for this particular job will be:
- Project Management (Planning and Time Management) - Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks (sets objectives/goals/measures). Breaks down work into steps, schedules, task/people assignments. Marshals people, time, and resource efficiently. Arranges information in a useful manner, and orchestrates multiple activities at once.
- People Management (Making Others Great) – Facilitate professional development of staff by providing challenging, learning assignments and opportunities. Shares and solicits feedback monthly at the very least. Helps establish compelling development plans. Assigns responsibility and accountability for tasks/decisions. Monitors process, progress and results. Creates a climate in which people want to do their best.
- Creating and Managing Systems and Processes – Recognizes the need for standardization and balances client and organization need in systems design. Anticipates the effects of process change on people while optimizing task efficiency and simplicity.
- Employees are expected to possess, or have high-potential for development of these three fundamental competencies.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Experience working in HIV/AIDS programs or other Health projects;
- Sound knowledge of DHIS 2, MS SQL/MySQL Design and Server Administration, MS Access/Excel, Power BI, other relational database design and analysis and other industry standard software;
- Experience providing technical assistance in different cultural contexts, including local NGOs, and knowledge of the Botswana context essential,
- Familiarity with PEPFAR programs preferred
- Strong knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures with program design
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Excellent and demonstrated program/project management skills.
- Ability to influence and collaborate with others.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, identify errors and prepare reports.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of complex scope that require evaluation of variable factors.
- Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining solutions.
- Networks with key internal and external personnel.
- Decisions may cause delays or failure to achieve results that impact departmental goals.
- Determines methods and procedures on new assignments and may coordinate activities of other personnel.
- Typically reports to a Manager/ Associate Director/ Director.
- Master’s degree in computer science or related field (Bachelor degree with additional experience also considered);
- Knowledge/Information Services
- Project Management (PM) Certification preferred.
- Five (5) years of relevant data systems work, programming, and analytic experience. Experience working in HIV/AIDS programs or other Health projects
- Substantial experience using computerized information systems.
- Articulate and professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive fashion with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English; fluent in host country language as appropriate.
- Prior team lead experience preferred.
- Demonstrvvvvvv vvated leadership experience preferred.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment. Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, cell phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.