The Senior Strategic Information Technical Advisor will provide strategic and technical leadership in support of surveillance, monitoring and evaluation (M&E) activities for HIV programs in the region. S/he will provide technical guidance by designing and developing SI/M&E systems and procedures for various projects. This includes establishing key components of an M&E system including Data Collection, Analysis, and reporting on key output, outcome and impact indicators for the program and developing data dashboards for real-time reporting. S/he will undertake periodic reviews of program and/or country M&E systems and participate in planning M&E system strengthening actions. S/he will also be responsible for ensuring Data Quality and accuracy and for collecting, analyzing, and processing monitoring and evaluation data, assisting in monitoring and reporting against performance indicators and results, developing methods and milestones to support project teams to monitor the project progress towards goals, and contributing to program strategy to ensure that activities and assignments are carried out as planned and the program objectives are being achieved. S/he will also be responsible for planning and leading research studies and other implementation science activities. S/he will supervise select technical staff in APRO within the Strategic Information unit.
The position will be based in Bangkok, Thailand. Candidates residing in other countries in the region will also be considered.
- Provide technical leadership in developing strategic information systems for HIV in APRO region ensuring that these adhere to the appropriate global strategy
- Provide technical leadership in Design, development, planning, implementation; and Capacity Building for staff in analysis, visualization, dissemination, and use of data from different sources.
- Provide technical leadership and regular support to APRO Team and country offices to ensure that programs are well designed based on the best available evidence and supported by robust monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Develop and ensure application of effective data collection, tracking, and reporting to monitor activity outputs and program quality and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Develop high quality studies using quantitative and qualitative methods and participatory methodologies to monitor program quality for performance and results, particularly any monitoring activities undertaken by consortium partners.
- Supervise SI-related contractors/partners ensuring quality of work and on-schedule and budget delivery.
- Build the capacity of FHI 360 staff and local partners to develop and implement SI/M&E systems in line with donor requirements and best practices, through formal training and regular mentoring.
- Support the analysis and use of data from routine information systems and special surveys to influence the design and scope of projects including ensuring that project data are appropriately displayed in dashboards using various graphics and geo-spatial displays.
- Ensure all research is ethically reviewed and provide quality assurance for research design, protocols, abstracts and manuscripts.
- Identify best practices for documentation as success stories, technical reports, or peer review publications and reviews surveillance, research and evaluation publications prior to release to stakeholders.
- Support the development of proposals for to support regional and country-specific activities in APRO.
- Maintains continuous dialogue and collaboration with donors, relevant government agencies, project staff and other NGOs and is viewed as a knowledgeable in their technical area.
- Review M&E activities in projects for quality and adherence to donor requirements.
- Ensure data quality audits are routinely collected and monitor data quality and accuracy, immediately reporting any discrepancies to leadership.
- Collect lessons learned from programs and collaborate with senior management to assure M&E components are of high quality and improve processes and practices in Data Analysis.
- Provide oversight for development of performance monitoring plans and development of systems for data collection, collation, analysis and use.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Comprehensive knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures with monitoring and evaluation, quality assurance, special quantitative and qualitative studies, implementation science, social network analyses, size estimations, surveillance, and data monitoring systems
- Ability to provide strategic leadership and advice to team, exchange information and collaborate with colleagues and peers within and outside the organization/project
- Familiarization with USAID and PEPFAR data streams and performance monitoring plans essential.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding public health issues in different countries
- Excellent and demonstrated technical, leadership, project management, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including previous experience leading the development of abstracts and peer reviewed publications.
- Ability to influence, motivate, negotiate and work well with others.
- Demonstrated capacity building and partnership experience essential.
- Previous work in partnership with major donors and stakeholders including USAID, UN agencies, Gates Foundation, World Bank and Global Fund preferred
- Ability to meet deadlines with strong attention to consistency, detail, and quality
- Ability to travel within country and internationally.
- In-depth understanding of the external environment and how it affects the industry in general and organization in particular, including political, legal, environmental, financial and social influences.
- In-depth and deep understanding of the structure, operations, human resources and finances of organizations and projects and the complexities of their interdependencies.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of complex scope and require in depth evaluation of issues and assessment of intangible factors.
- Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies to select methods, techniques for obtaining results.
- Decisions made generally affect overall success of functional, division or company operations.
- Often advises and creates plans based on analysis of issues and trends, and how these link to the responsibilities, capabilities, and potential of the technical area.
- Scans an ever-changing, complex environment in anticipation of emerging crises and opportunities.
- Erroneous decisions will affect the financial, employee or public relations posture of the organization.
- Faulty decisions or recommendation will result in failure to achieve major goals and objectives of the organization.
- Problems encountered often involve multiple departments, projects, or programs.
- Problems are often complex, broad in scope and implications, and often unprecedented with no clear resolution.
- Resolution requires in-depth analysis, cross-functional assessment and understanding of the organization’s strategic direction, and must consider the complex interdependencies related to the problem.
- Leads and directs staff to achieve strategic objectives of the SI Unit and organizational goals.
- Sets budgets, goals, and develops procedures and training for department.
- Develops and recommends solutions to management for projects, programs and corporate development.
- Completed work is reviewed, from a relatively long-term perspective, for desired results.
- Contributes to development of organization’s strategic plan.
- Develops well-informed advice and strategies that are sensitive to the various needs of multiple stakeholders and partners, reflect the strategic direction of the department and position the company for success.
- Overall responsibility for the planning and implementation of budgets within those functional areas.
- Master’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Epidemiology, Public Health, Statistics, Demography, Knowledge/Information Services, Communications, Education, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences International Development, Human Development or Related Field.
- Typically requires 11+ years of experience in a specialized technical/medical field of study.
- Considered an expert in SI or their technical field of study or knowledge area.
- Informed of current program developments in division/unit/technical area.
- Oversee and leads projects, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities.
- Familiar with donor/client funded programs and corresponding regulations and communication styles.
- Written and published materials related to technical area e.g., journal articles, job aids, training curricula, and other tools.
- Experience in specialized technical/medical field of study.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, cell phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.
- 10% - 25%
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.