Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of India.
This is a special fixed-term appointment for a period of three (3) years following Section 3.1 (c.) of Administrative Order No. 2.01 (“Recruitment and Appointment'). This appointment is not convertible to a regular appointment. It may be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period at the option of ADB. This appointment is open to internal and external applicants.
If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the term.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and The Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in India Residence Mission (INRM) within the South Asia Department (SARD). INRM assists in the project implementation of the loans and technical assistance (TA) projects and supports the ADB HQ in processing new loans in India.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Project Officer (Education) will direct and supervise ADB/INRM's work in education and skills development sector in partnership with the host government, external development partners (DPs), the private sector, and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) to further improve the access and quality of education and skills development services. To provide specialized and management support for technical, empirical, and policy-oriented analyses. The incumbent will report to the Country Director and/or designated International Staff (IS).
The position will participate in development of education and skills sector programs for INRM by completing a variety of tasks assigned, covering the following functions:
Sector Policy and Institutional Support
- Monitors and assesses key policy and institutional reforms in education and skills development sectors and advise the clients for their satisfactory progress.
- Participates in meetings along with development partners, HQ missions members, and RM staff for policy dialogues with the government.
Product Development Support
- Assists in formulating Country Partnership Strategy (CPS) by undertaking sector assessments with result frameworks and annual Country Operational Business Plan (COBP) with sector updates.
- Co-lead (with designated HQ mission leader) and assist in the formulation and design of investment and technical assistance (TA) projects in the assigned sectors
- Prepare knowledge product on topics agreed with the supervisor.
- Facilitate effective Coordination and communication with the government DPs, CSOs, and the private sector in the process.
Project Administration and Portfolio Management
- Lead the administration of the designated INRM-delegated projects in education, skills development, and disaster risk management sectors
- Co-lead the administration of the HQ programs, actively undertaking local level DP coordination and dialogues with the government to implement the actions included in the policy matrix.
- Monitors the progress in project implementation, actively identifying issues and taking actins to address them to achieve (annual and project period) result/targets, and leading the review missions.
- Monitor and advise on the Capacity Development of the executing agencies and sector entities (including procurement, consultant engagement, execution and financial management) to ensure efficient and effective implementation.
- Assist HQ staff in administering the designated investment and TA project monitoring portfolio performance for the education and skill sector.
- Prepare write-ups in conducting Quarterly Country Portfolio Review (QCPR) meeting and annual Country Portfolio Review Missions (CPRM), Tripartite Country Portfolio Review Meetings (TPRM), and India Portfolio Performance Review (NPPR).
- Maintain regular contacts with the concerned government counterpart staff.
- Contributes to DP working groups by providing inputs which are operated under the sector wide approach (SWAP) for education sector and moving towards SWAP for the skills development sector.
- Seeks cooperation with CSOs, the private sector, and the media.
- Assists in other operational support as required and reflected in the incumbent's work plan.
- Performs other duties that may be assigned by supervisors.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in social, economic development, Business Management, or equivalent fields preferably with Master's degree.
- At least 8 years of related work experience, and 4 years of supervisory experience.
- Extensive experience in (i) education, skills development, and disaster risk management, and (ii) portfolio management.
- Sound knowledge of government policies, reforms and program for education and skills
- Substantial knowledge and experience in portfolio management, project formulation, project implementation and Procurement Management.
- Sound knowledge of government administrative systems and procurement systems and procedures.
- Excellent knowledge and skills in procurement and disbursement; familiarity and understanding of ADB's relevant guidelines is an advantage.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills and ability to identify issues and appropriate actions at the field office level.
- Strong planning and organizing skills to handle a multitude of tasks under given timelines, under a high-pressure work environment.
- Proficiency in the use of technology packages (common word-processing, spreadsheets and graphics, PowerPoint and web-browsing and search engines)
- Ability to work collaboratively with teams, including ability to manage staff to facilitate work planning, delivery, and quality review.
- Ability to take initiative and work proactively.
- Flexibility/willingness to perform variety of tasks and expand the scope of work and responsibilities as needed.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Levels 3 - 4.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.