This position may support Business Development within multiple practice areas, one of which is FHI 360’s Global Education, Engagement and Employment (G3E) Business Unit. G3E plays a leading role in five technical areas including civil society and peace building, workforce strengthening and Economic Growth, international exchanges (scholarships Program Management, online learning, and sports and youth), global education and research and evaluation. Familiarity with and experience working in the sectors of democracy and governance, economic growth, international exchanges, education and/or research and evaluation is a plus.Apply Now
Job SummaryResponsible for proposal development - ensuring security and integrity of all proposal documentation, coordinating internal flow and review of all proposal inputs, coordinating schedules, coordinating activities with cross functional business areas, and directing submission of the final proposal. This is a headquarters based position. Accountabilities:
- Partners with the technical leader to deliver a compliant, competitive proposal to the client on time. Oversees the entire proposal process, making sure that every member of the proposal team, including sub- and prime contractors, knows what is expected of him/her and when tasks are due.
- Creates the proposal schedule and keeps track of proposal progress (technical and business).
- Ensures milestones are met.
- Ensures proposals receive appropriate review(s).
- Assists the technical leader to ensure compliance with solicitation.
- Communicates changes or new information to the entire team.
- Helps develop and communicate proposal strategy.
- Prepares proposal responsibility and compliance outline.
- Undertakes routine writing assignments.
- Assists the technical leader in securing resources, such as authors and reviewers.
- Provides updates on assigned proposals for accurate system tracking.
- Archives final proposal documentation.
- Performs other work assigned.
- Ensures bid strategy implementation and compliance.
- Resolves internal team issues.
- Provides process and best practice leadership and experience.
- Generates portion of own work through repeat client requests.
- Identifies and executes process improvements.
- Participates in developing and delivering proposal training for the organization.
- Assists in interviewing applicants and training of newly hired peers.
- Checks work of less experienced peers and acts as mentor.
- May identifies, tracks, and circulates opportunities to key internal stakeholders.
- Supports bid planning, intelligence gathering, Field Research, Data Collection, competitive analyses and partnership strategy.
- Facilitates bid/no bid decision-making.
- Helps develop win themes, strategies and Design approaches.
- Contributes to partnering decisions and negotiations.
- Assists in maintaining relationships with sponsors, governmental agencies, universities, multinational, and other non-governmental organizations.
- May represents business unit with internal and external stakeholders and supports annual business Development Planning.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of fundamental principles, terminology, and methodology of proposal development.
- Extensive knowledge of proposal management conventions.
- Effective organizational skills and track record for effectively managing proposal teams of diverse levels of seniority and experience.
- Effective communication skills, required for providing diplomatic and constructive comments to clients.
- Skill in observing detail.
- Ability to foster good customer relationships to build client base .
- Ability to understand and follow written guidelines, including departmental policies, FHI360 policies and procedures, and work orders.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, and other staff.
- Effective multi-tasking and flexibility to meet competing needs and sensitive deadlines.
- Skill in abstracting, condensing, or writing general information for inclusion in proposal documents.
- Ability to manage short-term, long-term proposals of varying complexity.
- Ability to analyze tasks and determine appropriate level of effort.
- Ability to influence others.
- Ability to independently organize and prioritize own work and to adapt to changes in priorities, workload, and workflow.
- Provides guidance to less experienced peers and may partially exercise responsibilities in assigning and directing work.
- Good understanding of the program sectors within business units.
- Read, write and speak English. Fluent in the host country language required.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Exercise judgment within well- defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
- Interact frequently with less experienced peer team members as resource/mentor.
- Understand quality and timeliness goals for projects.
- Work on assignments that are diverse and challenging in nature.
- Identify and execute process efficiencies.
- May assist with review and evaluation of staff performance.
- Interact and educate technical experts that may not be as familiar with business and proposal development processes.
- Ability to step in to fill gaps during proposal development process if no other resources can be identified within timeframe.
- Employee works under minimal supervision; handles problems and deviations in assignments in accordance with policies and accepted practices; confers with supervisor on unusual matters; broad latitude for unreviewed action or decision; work may be reviewed for technical soundness, appropriateness, and conformity to policy and goals.
- Bachelor's Degree or International Equivalent in a Related Field.
- Master's Degree Preferred
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience in a related field; at least 3 years in proposal development is preferred.
- Association of Proposal Management Professionals (APMP) and/or Shipley Associates or other relevant certification preferred.
- Knowledge of Non-governmental Organization (NGO) preferred.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5 - 25 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office 365 (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Skype/TEAMS, e-mail), office telephone, cell phone and printer/copier.
- Less than 10%