The objective of this TCP is to strengthen the capacity of Government, key institutions and stakeholders in Turkey, Algeria and Tunisia to develop and implement integrated, multi-sectoral tools and investment programmes using the FAO Blue Growth Initiative (BGI) framework in order to make these sectors more productive and sustainable, the associated value chains more efficient and inclusive, and to reduce rural poverty. Strengthening the capacity of these countries to implement Blue Growth tools will also put them in a position to solicit additional funding and investment from different institutions which have Blue Growth-focused investment priority areas.
To this end, the main project output is one Multi-sectoral Investment Plan (MIP) in priority areas that will be determined by countries through a consultative, participative and inclusive process. In carrying out the assignment, the Senior National Investment Consultant is required to employ a collaborative approach in ensuring that inputs are obtained from a wide cross section of stakeholders that relate to sustainable development of small-scale fisheries in the project area and elaborate abovementioned MIP for Turkey.
Consultant will report to Lead Technical Officer (LTO) of the project on a monthly basis.Tasks and responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the project’s Lead Technical Officer (LTO), direct supervision of the National Project Officer (NPO) in Turkey, coordination with Government focal point, National Consultants, and other International Consultants (as applicable), and in adequate consultation with relevant competent national authorities and partners, FAO Representation in Turkey and Regional FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Officers as well as relevant FAO Headquarters technical officers, the Senior National Consultant in Investment Planning will undertake the following tasks:
- Review relevant literature, documents, existing project documents: reports, evaluations, best practices reports to get well-familiarized with FAO Blue Growth approach and FAO Technical Cooperation Programme (TCP) Blue Hope Initiative in the Mediterranean Sea;
- Determine precisely the data and information needed (for each priority area identified by Turkey: Strengthened Fisheries Management, Sustainable development and integration of aquaculture, Fish product value chain development, Livelihood and sectoral diversification) to prepare a National Investment Plan with a supporting/implementation programme, organize the collection of and obtain these data and information (from NPO, national and other international consultants, and any other source).
- Review the Terms of reference (TORs) of any consultants that would be eventually hired to ensure that they will provide the data and information needed to prepare National Investment Plan with supporting/implementation programme by priority area.
- Using the data and information collected in Point (1); prepare a Draft National Investment Plan with a supporting/an implementation programme covering priority areas for Turkey.
- Through the LTO and NPO, circulate and thereafter present, in a one-day “Expert Consultation Workshop”, for review, the Draft National Investment Plan with a supporting/implementation programme covering priority areas for Turkey to relevant FAO technical officers, national competent authorities and “Local Expert Review Committee.
- Based on comments provided by relevant FAO technical officers, national competent authorities and “Local Expert Review Committee” produce and circulate (through the LTO and NPO) to the same, for review, Advanced Draft National Investment Plan with a supporting/implementation programme covering priority areas for Turkey.
- Present, in a “National Validation Workshop” the Advanced Draft National Investment Plan with a supporting/implementation programme covering priority areas for Turkey to relevant FAO technical officers, national competent authorities and “Local Expert Review Committee “and representatives of all relevant partners.
- In the process of the preparation of the MIPs, identify and contact potential donors such as UN Agencies, Development Partners (USAID, EU, WB, SIDA, Asian Development Bank, Civil Society Organizations, the European Union (EU), international non-governmental organizations, Japan (JICA), Korea (KOICA), Germany (GIZ) lobby them for financing the implementation of MIP Turkey, and note their level of willingness to do so.
- After the organization of National Validation Workshop, present in a half-day “Donor Round-table Meeting” the MIP to the donor community in the country including embassies, financial institutions and relevant agencies to sensitize them to and seek financial support in implementing the MIPs.
- Finalize the MIP for Turkey, and produce short report of the “Donor Round-table Meetings”.
- Prepare and submit to FAO a Report containing a Validated National Investment Plan with a supporting/an implementation programme covering priority areas for Turkey, and report of the “Donor Round-table Meetings”.
- Prepare and submit to NPO progress reports on a monthly basis who will ensure that all project partners are fully aware of execution phases of the consultancy;
- Coordinate with interested investors/donors on submission of created project proposals in a timely manner.
- Carry out any other duties commensurate with the post.
- Advanced university degree in Economics, Fisheries/Aquaculture or Agricultural Economics, Business Administration (MBA), Finance or related fields.
- 10 years of relevant experience of which at least 5 years with a major commercial or investment bank, a development finance institution (DFI), an international financial institution or a development organization with tasks related to analysis and financing of development projects. Experience in Fisheries and Aquaculture is desirable.
- Working knowledge of English and the official language of the country.
- National of Turkey or resident with a regular work permit.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in development projects analysis and/or public-private investment planning is required;
- Experience in agriculture/environmental sciences/fisheries and aquaculture sector is desirable;
- Familiarity with issues related to fisheries and aquaculture in Turkey is an asset;
- Experience in data collection, analysis and preparation of investment plans in fisheries, aquaculture, pesca-tourism or agriculture is required;
- Knowledge of the socio-economic and cultural terrain of the project area (Gokova Bay), prior work experience in the region is desirable;
- Strong business judgement in identifying potential partners and donor relationships;
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of financial and technical partners as well as senior government officials;
- Experience in securing funds from donors for public and/or private investments pruposes;
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills, ability to work successfully in multicultural teams and across boundaries and to build networks across the region;
- Good writing skills in English;
- Excellent organizational, administrative, and time management skills;
- Proven ability to work independently and deliver promptly and efficiently under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Ability to efficiently use of office software, MS Office (Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point, etc.), as well as database management software and Internet.