In the last few years, Save the Children has made a strong commitment towards becoming a more aligned global organisation with stronger national Members.
Our global strategy, Ambition for Children 2030, brings together 30 Members more than 50 country offices around 3 breakthroughs:
(i) no child dies from preventable causes before their fifth birthday,
(ii) all children learn from a quality Basic Education and
(iii) violence against children is no longer tolerated.
Delivering this strategy calls for the global movement to strengthen alignment, processes, and enabling structures and for national Members to strengthen capacities and engage in continuous improvement. The Strategy, Governance and Membership Support team facilitates direction setting, improved accountability and decision-making to deliver on our mission and strategy. We ensure improved visibility and support to increase effectiveness, enhance global culture and strengthen our global organisation. Our work focuses on core global SCA functions of governance, strategy, performance accountability and membership support. In 2020-21, we are supportin g the implementation of our governance reform, strengthening engagement, accountability and decision-making across Save the Children’s governance framework and bodies.
This role will encompass direct advisory and Capacity Building support to Members, as well as the strengthening our organisational governance, performance and accountability as a whole. This role will drive and support the embedding accountability standards, decision making process and shared learning across the membership.
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
* Drive the development of the Accountability Framework – our member performance standards, learning and continuous improvement initiative.
* Develop, pilot and roll out key processes and improvements in the Accountability Framework
* Develop continued stakeholder engagement across the Save the Children membership and global functions
* Further a systematic approach to the identification of good practices for shared learning between Members related to the Framework
* Produce concise but robust reporting that communicates the results of that framework
* Develop the support and escalation process and related governance processes associated with it, including thresholds for escalation and full sanction
* Evaluate and adapt the framework based on feedback; identify priority areas to extend and improve it.
* Provide governance technical advice to Members and internal stakeholders including the development of governance resources for Save the Children
* Provide advice on the work of Save the Children’s governing bodies and committees
* Ensure the sharing of good practice, learning and the provision of technical and professional advice to the movement on governance
* Keep informed with the latest developments in organisational development theory and practice
* Ensure Save the Children’s governance standa
Management of key governance projects
* Coordinate the continued implementation of governance reform plans, incl. the assessment of the Management Committee as a governance body; definition of respective roles and responsibilities of decision-making and steering steering bodies; develop processes & materials to enhance Board diversity as needed – in conjunction with legal team as appropriate
* Manage the Governance Committee and Nomination Committee (shape agendas, work plans for board and committee meetings; Deliver high-quality papers and reports; Ensure smooth meeting delivery, including taking and circulating minutes; manage the committee members’ induction)
* Lead on the global induction to the SC movement, strategy and governance for Member Chairs and CEOs
* Members’ Meeting: contribute to the development of the agenda; lead on governance sessions development (Design, papers, decks, presentations, liaison with presenters, etc.) and related follow up.
* Manage the initiation, undertaking and communication of governance research and Analysis in particular on governance models, standards, and accountability frameworks
* Manage or oversee management of specialist governance projects as defined by business needs or highest governing bodies, to identify opportunities and solutions
* Engage stakeholders in the ownership and delivery of relevant governance projects encouraging the integration of inclusive participatory approaches
* Preparation of project reports, documents, papers, and presentations
* Manage work plans, timelines, quality and risks assessment of governance projects, making recommendations for adjustments and mitigation strategies as necessary
* Ensure projects are delivered within agreed timelines and budgets, key deliverables are integrated into existing systems and programmes;
* Work closely with governance internal staff stakeholders (Global Strategy Director, CEO, Legal Counsel and staff, Board Affairs Manager; National Office Governance Lead, etc).
* Representing the team on key stakeholder groups, within the organisation and externally as needed
* Maintaining strong relationships and ensure alignment with senior leaders across the membership as well as in key functional areas including the Board, global work streams, and priority initiatives
* Participate in international meetings / occasional travel as required and undertake other responsibilities and duties as assigned according to the grade and nature of this post.
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector with an option of flexible of working hours
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and Child Protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
* No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
* All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
* Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers/apply
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.