The EIB, the European Union's bank, is seeking to recruit for its Corporate Services Directorate (CS), Business Services Department (BSD), Finance and Lending Applications Division (FLA), Financial Innovation Unit (FI) at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a (Senior) IT Software Engineer. This is a full time position at grade 5/6. The term of this contract will be 4 years. Panel interviews are anticipated in October 2020. The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs, with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.Apply Now
PurposeAs a (Senior) IT Software Engineer (internally referred to as (Senior) Officer IT Applications) you will be part of the Financial Innovation Unit (FI), within our CS-IT Department, responsible for driving the development, implementation and maintenance of in-house financial applications to address the increasing needs of the organization. These web applications, built on the JavaEE platform and React library, cover, among others, external clients web portal and middle office activities. It is vital that the technical knowledge required to develop these solutions is insourced. You will be involved in designing technical solutions consistent with business requirements and the IT architecture, as well as to supervise and coordinate the highly specialised external developers who are implementing the solutions.
Operating NetworkYou will report directly to the Head of Financial Innovation Unit and will work in close contact with the unit’s IT Java Solution Architect and with the other IT units.
- Provide input in the strategy and policy development process for the Bank's IT technology and infrastructure and contribute to development of policies for own area
- Assess the impact of changes or the adding of components to the IT architectural landscape and advise relevant stakeholders on this matter
- Implement the necessary IT processes, procedures, standards, control systems, methodologies, processes and working tools with the aim of monitoring and actively improving the quality of information, solutions and systems
- Lead as a subject matter expert content aspects of projects and act as a change owner in order to introduce different approaches within the Bank's IT applications, and define IT project designs and architectures in the area of expertise
- Lead and coordinate the delivery & activities of assigned team members, constituted of mainly external staff but may include more junior internal staff
- Propose and Design technical solutions consistent with business requirements and the IT architecture, as well as supervise and coach the highly specialised external developers who are implementing the solutions
- Review Analysis and proposed technical solutions prepared by more junior staff for consistency with business and functional requirements and IT plans in order to assess technical and business feasibility
- Provide coaching and support to less experienced colleagues in order to increase their knowledge in the field of expertise, i.e. software solutions and financial custom applications, and to increase the efficiency and quality of the work activities carried out by the unit
- Actively provide information, transfer knowledge and promote awareness and a sense of responsibility regarding compliance to relevant IT policies, procedures and work instructions to be followed by all EIB staff
- University degree in Computer Science or related disciplines
- At least 5-years of relevant experience as a Java EE and/or Spring developer, of which at least 2-years of experience in software architecture design
- Experience in taking technical design decisions
- Hands-on experience in Software Development lifecycle, including the supervision of technical teams
- Knowledge in designing both logical and physical database models
- In depth knowledge of React.js would be an advantage
- In depth knowledge of one or several of the following technologies would be an advantage: Spring Boot, JBoss EAP, Hibernate and in the design and implementation of REST APIs
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration and test automation tools (Maven, Jenkins, Sonar, Nexus, GitHub, SoapUI, Selenium, Wiremock, REST Assured) would be an advantage
- Experience in the Banking, financing or insurance domain would be considered an advantage
- Excellent knowledge of English and good command of French (*). Knowledge of another language of the European Union would be an asset.