Under the overall supervision of the Head of Office, and under the day-to-day guidance of the Head of Field Coordination Unit, the incumbent is expected to perform the following tasks:
- Support the overall implementation of office work plan.
- Undertake detailed analyses of the prevailing humanitarian situation, e.g., assess the humanitarian situation in conflict areas, report on IDP and other population movements, identify humanitarian needs and gaps in the response.
- Establish partnerships with other humanitarian agencies to plan and evaluate assistance programmes activities, including gender-related considerations;
- Maintain a close working relationship in the field with the relevant government officials to ensure appropriate communication;
- Conduct field visits with the aim to improve the humanitarian response;
- Assist in the monitoring of projects funded by HPF and support the HFU in maintaining contacts with HPF partners
- Assist in preparation and implementation of IA convoys plans.
- Assist with and attend regular coordination meetings as appropriate
- Coordinate humanitarian response and preparedness and provide Technical Support to sectors as requested;
- Assist in the establishment and maintenance of contacts with other UN agencies, NGOs, other humanitarian actors and relevant government counterparts;
- Help establish, consolidate and maintain a 4W database;
- Support field missions of OCHA staff, donors and other visitors and conduct briefings visitors on the overall humanitarian situation as well as the activities of OCHA and other humanitarian agencies;
- Organize, participate and/or assist in organizing meetings, conferences, consultations with other agencies and partners on humanitarian and Emergency relief-related matters;
- Support sectors to improve the efficiency of the humanitarian response through effective facilitation of coordination meetings, joint assessments, and joint planning;
- Perform other duties as required.
Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
- Head of Field Coordination Unit and other Humanitarian Affairs Officers;
- UN agencies
- International and national NGOs;
- Relevant government departments.
Impact of Results:
- Assist the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, Syria in identifying significant humanitarian issues Develop well-reasoned, innovative suggestions and approaches to problem resolution. Help meet organizational objectives and provide sound analytical inputs and advice with respect to coordination of Humanitarian Action.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Proven analytical skills: ability to conduct independent research and Analysis, identify issues and recommend appropriate solutions.Very good knowledge of the program of assignment, including the cultural, political and economic dimensions.Ability to relate humanitarian affairs issues and perspectives, including gender, social-economic issues, Strong negotiation skills: ability to lead and gain the assistance of others in a team endeavor, and to articulate coherent arguments to reach an agreement. Ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment.Very good knowledge of institutional mandates, policies, and guidelines pertaining to humanitarian affairs and sound knowledge of the institutions of the UN system.
Judgment and Decision-making:
- Apply sound judgment to resolve a range of issues/ problems.
Planning and Organizing:
- Proven ability to plan and organize, establish priorities, manage and monitor work plans, coordinate competing demands, and work to tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in political science, social science, international studies, public Administration, economics, engineering, earth sciences or a related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with an additional two (2) years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Five (5) years of relevant progressively responsible professional experience in humanitarian affairs, Emergency Preparedness, crisis/Emergency Relief management, rehabilitation, development, or other related area, including management of staff is required.
- Minimum three (3) years of relevant humanitarian experience (actual setting where a mission or project is being implemented) in emergency situations (complex emergency or natural disaster) is required. Experience in the UN Common System or comparable international organization is desirable.
- Experience in drafting policies and guidelines, particularly in relation to coordination of humanitarian response, humanitarian assistance, especially the humanitarian reform agenda is desirable.
- For this position advertised, fluency in English and Arabic is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.