Guided by the WASH Advisor, the senior Engineer will lead the water work and offer direct supervision to Water Engineer/Governance officers and Community Engagement and liaisons officers. He/she will work closely with district water department, HPMA and Ministry of water and environment to ensure Hand pump mechanics Association capacity is built to fully operate as area service provider, provide oversight role in board formation and training and other Capacity Building initiatives for the association and boards. He/she will ensure quality in implementation of water related work, ensure compliance in USAID EMMP plan and program reporting. The senior Engineer will build good partnership at district level and coordinate with MC district based team to ensure that all WASH activities support the achievement of project nutrition (P2) and livelihood (P4) targets. Ensure appropriate community involvement in the Design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities. Ensure all work is carried out in a way that is sensitive to community needs and gender issues. To promote full and equal participation of women, men, boys, girls in all aspects of the work and to ensure that SCI Apolou water provision activities is an opportunity for peace building, rather than community division.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
* A bachelor’s qualification in a discipline related to civil or water engineering. Experience could substitute for a formal qualification, but not vice versa.
* At least 5 years of direct experience in integrated WASH programming, (preferably in a community setting in Karamoja sub region).
* WASH professional with experience in Community Led Total Sanitation, WASH Marketing, or community health work
* Experience in USAID Rules and USAID Water construction compliance
* Strong organizational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines and priorities work.
* Demonstrated ability to work in a complex, multi-intervention health development program in collaboration with national health ministries and international partners.
* Demonstrated experience managing staff and budgets across a large geographic area
* Specific experience in Software and hardware activities. CLTS, sanitation marketing, Water quality testing
* Prior experience working in Karamoja sub-region highly desired.
* Prior experience working with USAID funded projects highly desired.
* Prior experience working with HPMAs, district Local Government and water service committees
* Willingness to be based in the Karamoja sub-region, with frequent travel to communities.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to work effectively with a diverse team of staff HQ and field based partners and counterparts.
* Commitment to producing high quality program deliverables on time and under budget.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and Child Protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
* No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
* All children learn from a quality Basic Education and that,
* Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Application closes on 18th June 2020 at midnight Uganda time.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent, persons with disabilities and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents