International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs.
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization.Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in under-served communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to Emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
International Medical Corps is responding to Covid-19 outbreak in 30 countries across the world. In response to this pandemic,International Medical Corps has implemented an agency-wide approach to scale up activities in the missions by providing necessary technical guidance, resources and operational support. Aligned with the global Strategic Response plan, International Medical Corps teams are engaged in screening of patients for COVID-19, enhancing infection prevention and control measures, provision of personal protective equipment,training of front-line healthcare staff, management of active COVID-19 patients,provision of WASH related services and continuity of existing non-COVID-19 operations.Additionally, our country missions are taking decisive action to prepare for and respond to COVID-19 by supporting health authorities through the procurement and provision of supplies and equipment; enhancing our current health activities in-country to address COVID-19 specific screening and triage needs, and developing and implementing IPC Training Programs.
The Senior Emergency Health Advisor will be part of a multidisciplinary team and will closely work with the Technical Unit comprising of health, MHPSS,Protection and Nutrition experts to support Emergency Response programs across the globe. S/he will provide support to the country teams in aligning COVID-19 proposals inline with International Medical Corps’s operational strategy and provide technical oversight to issues and challenges arising during the project’s cycle. The Health Advisor is expected to travel when needed in order to intensify direct technical assistance to the field teams and related projects within their portfolio. S/he also plays a technical leadership role in specific thematic areas of public health that will include for example; normative guidance,representation and results management
The Senior Emergency Health Advisor works collaboratively with the Emergency Response and Technical unit to continuously improve program quality through: developing and contributing to technical documentation, providing onsite and virtual technical assistance, assisting with resource mobilization and proposal development,support to partnership building, and strategic and operational planning. We are seeking health professionals with good writing skills and a significant background in emergency, transitional and development contexts for this position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation.The tasks listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Technical Program Support
- Support implementation and Analysis of health assessments, Design, planning,implementation and monitoring of public health/Health Programs including onsite and remote project start-up.
- Develop new proposals, reports and external communications and support on going proposals with technically.
- Explore opportunities for evolving the emergency response and transitional health programming to include operations research, learning and innovation, including identifying partnerships and collaborations with government and civil society agencies;
- Monitor and update the medical strategy of emergency interventions, and translating the identified health needs into a medical strategic vision which includes defining realistic project objectives, priorities and resources needed in order to address appropriately the medical and humanitarian needs of the population identified as at risk.
- Contribute actively to the design of integrated programming for health, DRR / resilience,nutrition, WASH, GBV, SRH and MHPSS in collaboration with HQ technical team and field staff;
- In collaboration with the Technical Unit, develop/adapt and implement guidelines,protocols and standards for health interventions, including roll-out at field level in order to achieve the highest quality of program interventions;
- Contribute to internal and global evidence building by identifying and pursuing funding opportunities for innovation and learning.
Capacity Building and Mentorship
- Support the development and adaptation of training curriculum for COVID-19 response in collaboration with the Training unit, ERU and Technical unit.
- Respond to specific health related requests and inquiries related to COVID-19 response from Country Programs by undertaking relevant research, identifying appropriate technical expertise from within or external to the organization, undertaking capacity building of team members and providing remote support through distance learning modalities.
- In close collaboration with the HR team, participate in the planning, definition and sizing of the medical teams, international and national.
- Identify& facilitate recruitment of public health and other technical program candidates for recruitment to country emergency program positions in collaboration with the field teams and relevant HQ staff.
- Design and deliver in-house training for International Medical Corps non-health staff on specific disease mitigation measures and other public health interventions relevant to COVID-19.
Representation and Reporting
- Provide reports on the evolution of the operation from the medical perspective, as required,including an analysis of the medical data from International Medical Corps and other medical actors,and incorporating any other epidemiological data, to provide a regular summary of the situation and to adjust the proposed strategy accordingly
- Participate in and support the representation of International Medical Corps at relevant technical fora and donor meetings.
- Share evidence and best practice through formal and informal channels.
- Participate in networking on technical issues related to Emergency Programs with other health NGOs with a view to identifying and facilitating partnership opportunities.
Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
Code of Conduct
It is our shared responsibility and obligation to prevent matters involving Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Trafficking in Persons, Child Safeguarding and any suggested violation to our Code of Conduct, which may involve Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment. If you see, hear or are made aware of any suggested activities then you have an obligation to report.
Medical Doctor, preferably with a post-graduate qualification in Epidemiology, Public Health or Humanitarian studies.
- Broad experience in Humanitarian work with at least three (3) years of experience in emergency health programs.
- Previous work experience in a similar position with International Medical Corps or any other International Non-Governmental Organization
- Working experience in emergency interventions and assessments.
- Demonstrated ability to identify strategic/operational medical priorities and to put in place relevant action plans.
- Ability to perform medical assessments/evaluations in any kind of context and formulate consistent creative but realistic proposals.
- Good writing skills; demonstrated ability to develop proposals and reports
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to train, mobilize, and manage both international and national staff.
- Quality and Results-based orientation.
- Analytical skill and strategic vision.
- Fluency in English
International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal consultancy opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.