The EIB, the European Union's bank, is seeking to recruit for its General Secretariat Directorate (SG), Economics Department (ECON), Country and Financial Sector Analysis Division (CFSA) at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a (Senior) Economist. This is a full-time position at grade 5/6. The term of this contract will be 4 years. Panel interviews are anticipated from end of JULY. The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs, with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.Apply Now
PurposeAs an (Senior) Economist, you will apply economic analysis and knowledge to derive, and effectively communicate, recommendations that help shape strategic decision-making of the EIB and to contribute to the policy formulation and dialogue.
Specific Post EnvironmentYou will work in a group of circa 40 economists in the Department and reporting to the Head of Division, you will communicate directly with Department management and EIB front -line staff, and external counterparts. You will carry out macroeconomic and financial sector analysis related to EU and non–EU economies and conduct economic analysis on topics with high relevance for EIB. In line with the matrix structure of the department, you will also carry out and other policy and strategy tasks and research tasks.
Operating NetworkThe Economics Department provides impact driven economic analysis to support the EIB in its operations, its global positioning and strategy and policy definition, both inside and outside the EU. It comprises of three divisions: Economic Studies, Country and Financial Sector Analysis and Policy and Strategy. It is part of the EIB's General Secretariat Directorate, responsible for the EIB's overall strategy formulation.
AccountabilitiesUnder the supervision of the Head of Division you will:
- Prepare economic and financial sector analysis on EU and non-EU countries, including providing sovereign and financial sector ratings, using the EIB internal models.
- Support the Head of Division in preparing for the discussion of country risk at the Management Committee and support in the review process of rating write-ups.
- Conduct economic analysis and background work and subsequent research analysis using firm and bank level data - the EIB Investment Survey, the EIB-EBRD-WB Enterprise Survey or Bank Lending Surveys prepared by the EIB.
- Prepare economic and financial analysis on topics of critical importance to the EIB, which impact operational strategies and policies (e.g. investment, investment finance, access to finance for SMEs, innovation, etc.).
- Identify clear links between economic analysis and policy and strategy priorities for the EIB, keeping in mind past achievements and future trends.
- Participate in the drafting of key policy papers and reports for senior management and general use.
- Participate in the design and organization of roundtables, conferences, seminars and events, and support the dissemination of information inside and outside the bank.
- Prepare briefings, data analysis and support as needed.
- PhD or equivalent degree in Economics or related field or a relevant Master's degree plus additional highly relevant academic or experience.
- Minimum 5 years of solid experience in applied economic research.
- Good knowledge of standard applied quantitative methods and macroeconomics / sovereign risk analysis.
- Strong computer skills in particular with regard to statistical/econometric software.
- Knowledge of STATA and firm-level data analysis will be considered an advantage.
- Excellent drafting skills in English.
- Excellent knowledge of English and/or French(*), with a good knowledge of the other. (Knowledge of other EU languages would be an advantage).