The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an international financial institution and a specialized United Nations agency dedicated to eradicating rural poverty and hunger. It does so by investing in rural people. IFAD finances programmes and projects that increase Agricultural Productivity and raise rural incomes, and advocates at the local, national and international level for policies that contribute to rural transformation.Apply Now
Post's organizational accountabilityThe Independent Office of Evaluation of IFAD (IOE) promotes accountability and learning through independent evaluations of IFAD's work. In line with IFAD's 2011 Evaluation Policy, IOE reports directly to the IFAD Executive Board. The IOE is seeking expressions of interest by senior consultants to contribute to the evaluations listed below planned for 2021. The evaluations will be conducted under the leadership of staff from IOE.
- Corporate-level evaluation on the progress of IFAD’s decentralization reform;
- A Sub-regional Evaluation on small countries in a situation of fragility in West Africa;
- Country strategy and programme evaluations (CSPEs; language of the report in parenthesis): Bolivia (Spanish); Eswatini (English); Indonesia (English); Malawi (English); Uzbekistan (English);
- A Project cluster evaluation on rural enterprise development;
- Evaluation synthesis report (ESR) on government performance as a partner.
- Project-level evaluations (projects and countries to be confirmed)
Key results expected / Major functional activitiesThe senior consultants will support the development of the evaluations' methodology, the conduct of analytical work (documentation Analysis, key informant interviews, field visits in project areas, data collection and analysis) and the preparation of draft technical working papers and/or chapters of the main evaluation report. Each evaluation will be conducted by a team of multiple members under the leadership of an IOE staff member.
Impact of Key results / Key performance indicatorsThe evaluations will be conducted in accordance with IFAD's Evaluation Policy and IFAD's Evaluation Manual (2015 edition): Examples of previous evaluations may be found in our website at the following links: https://www.ifad.org/en/web/ioe/home
Representation / Work relationshipsSenior consultants will be responsible for conducting analytical work and for drafting sections or chapters of report, based on advanced subject matter expertise. Their analysis will be based on desk reviews, interviews and, if the situation of health and security allows, on country visits (to be noted: IFAD follows the directives of WHO and United Nations as to travel authorizations). Senior consultants will report to lead evaluators in IOE
- Knowledge of contemporary quantitative and qualitative evaluation techniques and practices, preferably in the area of evaluation of Agriculture and rural development interventions.
- Field experience related to agricultural and rural development is a must.
- Communication skills: write clearly, succinctly and convincingly, listen and communicate to engage others.
- Computer skills: full command of Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and common Internet applications. Mastery of statistical analysis software is a plus.
Minimum recruitment qualificationsEducation
- Advanced university degree (at least at the Master's level) in economics, agriculture, rural development, finance, public policy, social sciences or related studies.
- At least 15 years of professional experience in: evaluating or assessing multilateral rural and agricultural development programmes and reviewing and/or evaluating of sectoral strategies corporate policies in multilateral organizations or major NGOs.
- Experience in managing, leading or conducting strategic, sectoral-level or thematic evaluations in international development organizations, with substantial contributions to evaluation designs and methodology development.
- Thematic expertise in at least one of the following areas: smallholder agriculture, livestock, fisheries, forestry development, rural finance, rural infrastructure development, rural enterprises, natural Resource Management, Climate Change, food and nutrition security, gender and women's empowerment, participatory Community Development.
- Experience in managing or preparing a synthesis of large amounts of qualitative or quantitative data and their analysis.
- Understanding of the operations and business models of IFAD preferable.
- Working experience with international financial institutions – operations/programmes or evaluations.
- Working experience in and in-depth knowledge of the country (evaluation C) or the sub-region (evaluation B).
- Full command, both written and verbal communication, in English.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in French or Spanish are a must for some evaluations (Bolivia, West Africa) and are an asset for non-country specific evaluations.
- Consultants are not considered staff of IFAD. This consultancy assignment does not carry any expectation of employment, extension or conversion to another type of contract with the Fund.
- This is a Call for Interest for a Consultant Roster for Assignments from 80 to 240 days, with possibility of extension depending on performance and funding availability, but not more than 240 days in any 12 months period.
- In the interest of making most cost effective use of funds and resources, we are only able to respond to applicants who are short-listed for interview. Candidates who do not receive any feedback within three months should consider their application unsuccessful.