The EIB, the European Union's bank, is seeking to recruit for its Legal Directorate (JU), Operations Department (OPS), Central Europe (CE) at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a (Senior) Banking & Finance Lawyer – German Law. This is a full time position at grade 5/6. The term of this contract will be 4 years. Panel interviews are anticipated for mid of August. The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs, with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.Apply Now
PurposeThe Central Europe Division of the Legal Department of EIB consists of 15 team members. It supports the Bank with legal advice on the subjects of all types of its lending operations in the following countries:
- Germany / Austria
- Central Europe: Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary
Operating NetworkYou will report to the Head of Division and closely cooperate with the other team members as well as managers and colleagues across the Legal Department. You will be in contact with other services involved in lending operations across the Bank.
AccountabilitiesAs a (Senior) Banking and Finance Lawyer, internally referred to as (Senior) Officer Legal Services, you will provide legal advice on banking and finance transactions in particular related to the Bank’s projects in Germany. The position involves a certain amount of travel for negotiations and signatures of legal documentation. You will:
- Draft and negotiate legal documentation in German and English for lending operations
- Offer legal advice on all matters related to EIB’s lending operations, both prior and after financial close (including structuring of transactions, restructurings, waivers and amendments)
- Cooperate with external counsels and supervise their work, when necessary
- Contribute to the development of standard legal documentation for the banks operations and to the sharing of knowledge on legal documentation for the Bank’s products
- Contribute to the development and evolution of contractual and operational policies
- Coach and support less experienced colleagues on operations
- Undertake research and conduct legal studies on matters of law arising in connection with the Bank's operations and in the context of developing new products
- Proactively keep up to date with legal developments in legislation, regulations
- Build and maintain cooperative relationships within the Bank and represent EIB externally
- University degree in law and German bar exam. Professional legal qualifications from other EU jurisdictions may also be considered.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant, professional experience preferably in the field of banking and finance acquired with a law firm of international repute or the in-house legal department of a financial institution
- Significant experience in drafting and negotiating finance documents in German and English
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and German is required. Good command of French (*) is an advantage.