The EIB, the European Union's bank, is seeking to recruit for its Legal Directorate (JU) - Legal Department, Operations 1 (JU/OPS 1) – Western Europe A Division (WE-A) - French Unit at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a (Senior) Banking and Finance Lawyer – Qualified in French Law. This is a full time position at grade 5/6.
The term of this contract will be 4 years.
Panel interviews are anticipated for beginning of August.
The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs, with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.
The Western Europe A Division (WE-A) is currently dealing with the legal documentation and legal issues for projects in the following countries: France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg. The lawyer will assist the Head of Division and Head of Department, together with other legal advisers, in providing legal support to the operational directorates, carrying out work related to all tasks within the remit of the division.
As (Senior) Banking and Finance Lawyer, internally referred to as (Senior) Officer Legal Services, you will act under the authority of the Head of Division, in cooperation with the other lawyers of the WE-A Division and in accordance with the priorities established by the Head of Division (in Coordination with the Head of Department).
The post may involve a certain amount of travel for negotiations and signatures of legal documentation and contracts.
You will carry out work related to all of the division's responsibilities and work independently on lending and financing operations. You will draw up, as necessary, reports on completed transactions and prepare your own proposals when consulted on fundamental or unusual issues. You will:
- Draft and negotiate legal documentation for lending and financing operations for:
- projects in the aforementioned countries, notably bilateral loans with banking counterparts, public entities and major corporates;
- PPP/ project Finance Operations, with the assistance from external legal counsels;
- structured finance operations, including ABS and covered bond type operations;
- other forms of financing, including risk–sharing structures, on funded and unfunded basis, quasi-equity products (mezzanine and subordinated instruments, warrants);
This includes advising on structuring, drafting of documents, legal advisory support, conclusion of contracts, completion of all related legal formalities, and legal monitoring (including post-signature events, including restructurings).
- Manage contacts and negotiations;
- Prepare terms of reference for external Counsel and other consultants, liaise and supervise their work, whenever necessary;
- Complete the administrative formalities vis-à-vis clients;
- Undertake research and conduct legal studies on issues of law arising in connection with the Bank's operations and in the context of developing new Financial Instruments;
- Develop and maintain relationships within the Bank and represent EIB externally;
- University degree in law, preferably at Master 2 level, and qualification in French law;
- Qualification or professional experience in Common Law will be an advantage;
- Significant experience in the drafting and negotiation of finance documentation in French and English;
- Solid experience of bank lending and finance, project finance or PPP transactions and/or experience in public administrative law or insolvency law;
- Minimum 5 years of post-qualification (admittance to Bar) professional experience relevant for the job, in the field of bank lending and/or project finance in French law market, ideally acquired with a law firm of international repute or the in-house legal department of a financial institution;
- Very good knowledge of standard computer tools;
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken French and a good command of English;
We are an equal opportunity employer, who believes that diversity is good for our people and our business. As such, we promote the inclusion of suitably qualified and experienced staff without regard to their gender, age, racial or ethnic origin, religion or beliefs, sexual orientation/identity, or disability (*).
By applying for this position you acknowledge the importance of maintaining the security and integrity of the Information of the EIB Group. In case of selection for the position you agree to comply with all measures (policies, controls, document classification and management) implemented by the EIB Group to prevent unauthorized disclosure of any information or any damage to the EIB Group reputation.
Deadline for applications: 24th June 2020
(*). We particularly welcome applications from women and persons with disabilities.