The EIB, the European Union's bank, is seeking to recruit for its Legal Directorate (JU) – Legal Department, Operations (OPS) – Baltic Sea Division (MB), at its headquarters in Luxembourg: a (Senior) Banking and Finance Lawyer – Finnish Law. This is a full time position at grade 5/6 The term of this contract will be 4 years. Panel interviews are anticipated for mid August The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs, with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.Apply Now
PurposeThe Baltic Sea Division (MB) of the Legal Department of the EIB is composed today of 8 lawyers. It provides legal advice to the EIB in relation to all types of its lending operations (including secured and non-secured transaction, as well as structured finance, project finance and restructurings) in the following countries: Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and EFTA states (Norway, Iceland and Switzerland).
Operating NetworkAs a Banking and Finance Lawyer (internally referred to as (Senior) Officer Legal Services, you will report directly to the Head of MB Division. You will cooperate with the other lawyers of the MB team in providing legal advice and with colleagues from other departments of the EIB that are part of the EIB appraisal team for each project.
AccountabilitiesYou will provide legal advice on lending operations in particular in relation to the EIB projects in Finland and in Baltic States. Your post may involve limited amount of travel (whenever it is safe again) for negotiations and signatures of legal documentation. You will:
- draft and independently negotiate legal documentation in English (including loan agreements, guarantees and other related finance documents) for lending operations (such as bilateral loans with banking sector counterparts, corporates and public sector entities);
- provide legal advice to the EIB, with assistance from external legal counsels chosen for that purpose by the EIB, in relation to structured finance (such as asset-backed securitisations), project finance and PPP transactions;
- offer legal advice on all matters related to the EIB’s lending operations, both prior and after financial close (including structuring of transactions, participation in negotiations and loan workouts and restructurings);
- liaise with external counsels and supervise their work, whenever necessary;
- undertake research and conduct legal studies on matters of law arising in connection with the Bank's operations and in the context of developing new products; and
- build and maintain relationships within the Bank and represent EIB externally.
- University degree in law;
- Professional legal qualification, preferably in Finnish law, however, professional qualifications from other common or civil law jurisdictions may be considered acceptable
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience of which a minimum of 2 years post qualification experience is required (earned, preferably, from a law firm) in advising on lending transactions
- Experience in structured finance, project finance or PPP transactions would be considered a distinct advantage;
- Significant experience in drafting and negotiating finance documents in English; and
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and Finnish that permits drafting and negotiating complex legal documentation; a good command of French(*) and other official European language would be an advantage.