Posting Title: SENIOR ADVISER, P5 Job Code Title: SENIOR COORDINATION OFFICER Department/Office: United Nations Environment Programme Duty Station: NAIROBI Posting Period: 02 May 2019 - 15 June 2019 Job Opening Number: 19-Programme Management-UNEP-115587-R-Nairobi (X) United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity Organisational Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. This post is located in UN Environment, Executive Office, at the Nairobi duty station. Under the direct supervision of the Executive Director, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties: Responsibilities 1. Organizational and strategic reform:Apply Now
- Promoting support for the management strategy, philosophy and directives.
- Supporting the coordination of reform processes initiated by the Executive Director, in particular in areas related to programme coordination, analytical production, results-based management and resource planning and gender.
- Supporting the coordination of teams established by and under the direction of the Executive Director to address other strategic issues.
- Providing strategic, political and policy advice to the Executive Director on a wide range of issues related to the functions and responsibilities of UNEP.
- Establishing collaboration and partnerships with key officials at all levels inside and outside the organization.
- Liaising with external partners and governments as required to exchange information, co-ordinate and seek support for the activities of the Executive Director.
- Monitoring, identifying and bringing to the attention of the Executive Director emerging policy issues of relevance to the mandate of UNEP in particular and the UN in general; keeping abreast of deliberations of inter-governmental bodies.
- Maintaining an active overview of the work of all the Divisions, Offices and Secretariats to ensure effective and coordinated support to the Executive Director.
- In cooperation with the relevant Divisions and Offices, leads the identification of emerging environmental policy issues, undertakes preliminary research, identify and promotes the need for further research and provides briefings to the Executive Director upon request.
- Participating as an ex-officio member to the UNEP Senior Management Team (SMT).
- Providing Secretariat functions to the SMT by identifying priorities, problems and issues to be addressed; preparing the agenda of the meetings, retreats, supervising the preparation of relevant documentation.
- Initiating follow-up activities of SMT and their implementation through teamwork and communication at the Directors level.