Parent Sector : Field Office
Duty Station: Bangkok
Job Family: Administration
Type of contract : Non Staff
Level : Level 2
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 16-Jun-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, ProfessionalismOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall authority of the Director of UNESCO Regional Bureau for Education in Asia and The Pacific, and direct supervision of Senior Finance and Administrative Officer, the subscriber will perform the following functions:
1. Monitor the 24-hour security service to UNESCO premises in accordance with UN Security standards.
2. Perform and supervise security guards in performing the following assignments:
- Controls entry and ensures the security of the organizational premises and staff. This will include providing 24-hour Security Services at UNESCO premise in accordance with the UN Security standards as follows:
- Check and register license plate no. and time for all the vehicles which enter the main gate;
- Check all the departing vehicles to ensure the safety of UNESCO property;
- Check and register ID/passport No. and time of visitors who enter the main building;
- Welcome and direct UNESCO’s guests to the desired destination in the premise.
- Undertakes routine patrols of assigned areas, maintaining continual surveillance against fire, short-circuit of power, water leakage and any other occurrence which might damage premises or staff and keep up to date records of patrols;
- Opens and closes buildings; Checks that all office machines, air conditioners, lights etc. are turned off after working hours;
- Investigates and reports on all incidents on organization premises that involve a breach of security procedures, injuries or theft and report back to supervisor;
- In case of incidents or emergencies on the organization’s premises, instruct staff and visitors of security procedures including fire control procedures, including evacuation where necessary and ensure the physical security of premises and staff:
- Issues building passes where appropriate;
- Responds to enquiries and provides appropriate information or suggests alternative sources of information;
- Maintains security personnel lists;
- Liaises as necessary with police authorities, local administration, fire services and other Emergency services;
- May be required to deliver and collect mail, documents and other items.
4. Assist and provide proper recommendation/solution to security guards when they are encountering difficulty in their routine work.
5. Report and provide security-related recommendation to the supervisor for better and proper security measures.
6. Arrange the timetable for rotation of security guards to ensure that duties are equally distributed and also to arrange substitution in case of leave, sickness, and unforeseen absence.
7. Provide and organise training sessions and workshops for the security guards.
8. Participate in security-related meetings and training, which will be organized by UNESCO, UNDSS, Thai authorities or private sector from time to time.
9. Support and assist in knowledge building and Knowledge Sharing including developing and implementing Standard Operating Procedures for security guards and other security procedures to maintain an effective work environment by clearly outlining the policies and uniform procedures that should be adopted and applied to the daily work.
10. Drives the Director/Head of Office, UNESCO/UN officials and staff, including senior and high-ranking officials and visitors. Ensures provision of reliable and safe driving services. Meets senior staff, officials and visitors at the airport, including assisting, when required, with basic visa and customs formalities.
11. Provides assistance on installations and use the HF, VHF radio and satellite phone in the vehicle.
12. Operate the security equipment and the security system. Ensure all the office security equipment is in a good condition and ready for use at all times, monitor and coordinate with the contractors, and assist in the procurement of equipment and supplies, including all works and services related to the security section when requested.
13. Perform any security-related tasks and other additional activities that may be required/assigned by the Supervisor to ensure the success of the work team.COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)Accountability (C)Communication (C)Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)Planning and organizing (C)Results focus (C)Teamwork (C)-For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Secondary education. University Degree in the related fields would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Minimum three years of relevant experience in security related field (with Secondary education).
- Experience in military, police, governmental or private security service in an international environment or government department, preferably in the United Nations.
- Experience in security training.
- Experience on command/managerial position.
Skills and competencies
- Good communication skills both oral and written and able to work as a team.
- Good interpersonal skills, discretion, good sense of judgement and capacity to deal efficiently and tactfully with people of different cultural backgrounds.
- Good organizational skills.
- Basic IT skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office application, internet and office technology equipment.
- Ability to work under pressure and flexibility to adjust work schedules and priorities.
- Good knowledge of English and Thai.
- Bachelor’s degree from Military College or Police Academy would be an advantage.
- Familiarity with UN system of UN agencies.
- First Aid training and other medical support related training will be an additional asset.
- Valid license for motorcycle.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain Gender Parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.