The purpose of the Safety and Humanitarian Advisor is to work with the member organisations of the INGO forum in Myanmar to improve Coordination and understanding of operational safety and access. This is a new role in partnership with the INGO forum and the position is designed to improve organisational standards and support NGOs operational practices. There are two core elements to the position, firstly building the operational capacity of NGOs to manage their staff safety and, secondly, to develop clear tools and Information Management processes to support access of affected populations to assistance.Apply Now
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop Safety and Humanitarian strategy and technical guidance
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC and INGO forum policies, guidance and procedures
- Identify trends, technical standards in order to further NGO practice
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments relevant to safety and humanitarian practice, ensure high technical quality and synergies in Project Implementation
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support
- Ensure that key learnings are extracted from operations regarding safety and humanitarian practice and incorporate them into staff development processes
- Provide systematic training and build capacity of technical staff
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Contribute to Fundraising, develop and revise funding proposal, budgets and donor reports as requested
- Minimum 5 years working experience with NGOs, either in a safety and Security management or operational role. Experience within an operational NGO strongly preferred. Although, equivalent experience, including the UN, DPKO missions, diplomatic community, donors, national governments and others is also relevant.
- Solid understanding of the UN system, integrated missions, principled Humanitarian Assistance.
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated ability in writing briefing papers and other information products.
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile. Strong ability to work within and lead a diverse team as well to follow projects independently.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Flexible and able to multi-task and improvise.
- Excellent computer literacy.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of the context in Myanmar, desirable
- Knowledge of relevant legal and policy frameworks, international and domestic