Background: Do you have a strong experience in the corporate sector and in equity and quasi-equity investments? Would you like your work to have an impact on the development of the private sector in Latin America and the Caribbean?
The team: The Credit Risk Management (MCR) Division of the Risk Management Department (RSM) develops and leads all aspects of credit risk policies, parameters and procedures; reviewing credit and investment proposals submitted to the Department, with a view to assessing risk and supporting the internal credit approval process; participating in the project portfolio supervision process to validate risk rating assessments; and strengthening our capacity to identify and balance the credit risk present in its lending operations and treasury activities (including investments and financial derivatives portfolios). The MCR Division works closely with Investment Officers and other internal clients to find opportunities to add value beyond compliance and risk mitigation to help insure developmental impact and sustainability.
What you will do:
You will support the origination, execution, and monitoring of projects and provide independent technical risk assessments of IDB Invest’s transactions, identifying issues to be addressed by various business areas, and offer potential solutions and alternatives.
- Perform the independent credit risk assessment of sophisticated corporate transactions, including reviewing and providing advice on financing structures, financial documents, consultant reports, financial models, and legal documentation in order to fully assess resulting credit risk and possible mitigants to assigned transactions.
- Perform the independent credit risk analysis and assessment of transactions involving equity and different types of mezzanine products, including subordinated debt structures, convertible loans, preferred shares, warrants, options or similar instruments or securities.
- Review investment proposals to assess proposed structure and viability, including pros, cons, risk and return characteristics, governance and board representation, financial projections/modeling, valuation, maturity, reasonableness of minority rights, ranking in the product structure, and security/covenant/redemption/exit features.
- Be part of multidisciplinary teams in the analysis of prospective transactions and make recommendations to mitigate the identified key credit risks, as part of the credit approval process.
- Review and ratify the internal credit risk ratings applicable to the transactions assigned, considering all dimensions involved, including borrower risks, transaction structure risks, and the macro/regulatory environment, as well as the envisioned probability of default, loss-given default, and expected recoveries.
- Review the portfolio of non-sovereign guaranteed operations and undertake periodic annual reviews.
- Prepare written credit risk assessments including a credit recommendation on the counterparty's risk profile/rating in accordance with our credit policy and guidelines and documentation standards.
- Formulate well-reasoned recommendations and persuasively communicate recommendations at required committees and to senior management.
- Provide mentorship and advice to origination teams by applying best practices and lessons learned from experience with similar transactions.
- Review and evaluate waivers and amendments presented by the Portfolio Management and Origination Divisions.
- Work closely with the Special Assets Division on troubled debt restructurings to identify suitable debt restructuring strategy, steer jointly with that Division and other partners in the IDB Invest the recovery efforts and propose loan provisions.
- Use an array of analytical tools, risk management models and methodologies to measure IDB Invest credit risk exposure for assigned projects and ensure that all transactions operate inside of clearly established limits.
- Collaborate in the design and administration of training programs on credit issues and topics.
What you’ll need:
- Education: Master’s in Business Administration, Finance, Engineering, or relevant field.
- Experience: Minimum of six years of relevant professional experience in similar position. You will also possess confirmed analytical skills and seeking innovative solutions.
- Previous corporates sector transaction experience with multilateral development banks and/or development finance institutions is desirable.
- Expertise in the evaluation and execution of equity and quasi-equity investments, including structuring, supervision, security/covenant/redemption/exit features in a variety of industries and segments.
Languages: You are proficient (oral and written) in English and Spanish. Knowledge of an additional official IDB Group language (French or Portuguese) is desirable.Opportunity Summary:
- Type of contract: Staff, fixed term
- Length of contract: 3 years
- Start date: Upon mutual agreement with candidate
- Location: Washington D.C. or one of our offices in the region
Our culture: Working with us you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in all types of private investment development fields, including infrastructure and energy, corporates, financial institutions, financial and non-financial products and services, gender and diversity, communications and much more.
About us: IDB Invest, a member of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) Group, is a multilateral organization committed to the development of the private sector of Latin America and the Caribbean by financing loans, equity investments, and guarantees. In addition, IDB Invest partners with clients to provide advisory and training services.
IDB Invest is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities in employment. We embrace diversity on the basis of gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, and HIV/AIDs status. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.
IDB Invest offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and its implications for our Region, the IDB Group is reviewing its hiring needs and re-prioritizing its areas of talent acquisition. We encourage candidates to continue to apply to the active postings, yet current job openings may be subject to further decisions in terms of timing of the processes, or other actions, in accordance with business needs. Final hiring decisions may also be conditioned to the candidate’s ability to timely relocate to the post of duty at the moment of starting service.Additional Information