Research Assistant for the Regional Economic Advisor Consultant
Background of this search:
The IDB is a long-term development partner in the Andean Region in general, with a substantial portfolio across many sectors. This necessitates accurate assessment and guidance of the IDB’s actions within the country if development goals are to be met in an effective manner. The IDB Department for the Andean Group (1) support the development, processing, negotiation and administration of projects and programs; (2) lead and maintain relations with governments and civil society members; (3) support the routine implementation of operations; and (4) monitor project-related procurement activities within the country. The Department monitor the region’s macroeconomic environment, conduct economic and sector studies, and organize workshops to strengthen knowledge capacity. Given this context, fulfilling the goals and vision of the IDB Department for the Andean Group requires the strategic, administrative and technical abilities of a research assistant, to support the country economists in policy dialogue, macroeconomic monitoring and economic analysis.The team’s mission:
- Provide support in the design, preparation and delivery of a research agenda in areas such as: macroeconomics, public finance, economic development, international economics, and others areas as part of the research agenda for the economists.
- Conduct research and help grow the knowledge agenda of the unit, including the development of methodological notes detailing with specific data sources and analytical methodologies, as well as primary and secondary data collection and analysis
- Review and summarize economic assessment reports and development analysis papers.
- Provide assistance to the Regional Economic Advisor concerning the content of his/her analytical work by identifying, compiling, and organizing databases, performing econometric and statistical analyses, computer programming and preparing literature reviews
- Provide assistance to the Regional Economic Advisor in synthesizing and translating research into implications for policy and best practices
- Provide assistance to the Regional Economic Advisor in relation to the elaboration of corporate documents.
- Oversee and coordinate the gathering and archival of necessary data to support the work of the Regional Economic Advisor; may include the establishment and maintenance of strategic databases to track country indicators, monitor economic analysis and inform sector studies; support analytical work (economic and sector) as needed.
- Coordinate and contribute to the preparation of weekly and monthly economic briefs on the Andean Region;
- Coordinate with other research fellows and contribute to the preparation of inputs to reports and briefs, mainly addressing social and economic issues in the Andean Region;
- Preparing PowerPoint presentations on selected topics, at regional level;
- Maintaining and updating macroeconomic databases consisting of regional and country-specific indicators;
- Assisting in the organization of workshops, meetings and other activities in the context of policy dialogue with national authorities in the Andean Region;
- Assisting in the organization of workshops, meetings and other activities in the context of the Bank´s dialogue with civil society in the Andean Region;
- Coordinating and maintaining close communication with the Bank´s country economists, as well as Country Representatives and Chiefs of Operations;
- Participating in Bank staff meetings;
- Other activities as deemed necessary
What you’ll need:
- Citizenship: You are a citizen of one of our 48-member countries. We may offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your eligible dependents.
- Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB Group.
- Education: Master´s degree or equivalent in Economics or related areas and 5 years of relevant professional experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience. A Master’s degree in relevant fields of work is preferred.
- Experience: In-depth knowledge of one or more fields of economics and awareness of its relationship with other fields. Knowledge of current analytical tools and quantitative techniques/methods such as econometric techniques and macroeconomic modeling. Critical thinking abilities. Ability to provide sound technical support. Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to handle several tasks and participate in different teams at the same time. Ability to be receptive to new ideas, interact in groups and exhibit leadership qualities. Knowledge of Bank processes, including routine preparation of country briefs. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Flexibility and adaptability, as well as willingness to learn new skills and face unexpected challenges.
- Languages: Ability to read, write and speak fluently in Spanish and English.
- Type of contract: Consultant Full Time
- Length of contract: 19 months
- Starting date: July 16th
- Location: The primary post of Duty will be Washington.
- Responsible person: Regional Economic Advisor (CAN/CAN)
- Requirements: You must be a citizen of one of the IDB’s 48 member countries and have no family members currently working at the IDB Group.
Because we are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace diversity based on gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, and religion. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.
Our people are committed and passionate about improving lives in Latin-America and the Caribbean, and they get to do what they love in a diverse, collaborative and stimulating work environment. We are the first Latin American and Caribbean development institution to be awarded the EDGE certification, recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality. As an employee you can be part of internal resource groups that connect our diverse community around common interests.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and its implications for our Region, the IDB Group is reviewing its hiring needs and re-prioritizing its areas of talent acquisition. We encourage candidates to continue to apply to the active postings, yet current job openings may be subject to further decisions in terms of timing of the processes, or other actions, in accordance with business needs. Final hiring decisions may also be conditioned to the candidate’s ability to timely relocate to the post of duty at the moment of starting service.Additional Information