S/he will work directly under the Head of geo data and analytics's supervision with additional technical inputs coming from the GIS team in Geneva.
What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide Humanitarian Assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international Humanitarian Law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid Humanitarian Response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
Our unit is part of the Direction of the Operations. The post holder will be part of this unit and will participate to the maintenance and development of the remote sensing and GIS for the ICRC. Furthermore s/he will contribute to the Mapping production when needed. The post holder will provide maps, data and Information Management support to effectively support decision making and reporting of all ICRC departments/sites. S/he will play a key role in managing the information flow, standardization and security within and between ICRC department/offices. S/he must ensure that repository of data is done through effective Database Management.
The Remote Sensing (RS) & GIS Associate will use satellite imagery Analysis latest technologies and GIS to support the operations.
Accountabilities & Functional responsibilities
In support of the unit, the post holder will:
- Assess the applicability of RS & GIS in the analysis, planning, implementation and evaluation of operations;
- Prepare and organize RS & GIS datasets;Support the delegations with satellite images analyses (low to very high resolution) and produce maps for their operations;
- Promote and disseminate the use of RS & GIS tools and products (incl. webapps and GIS wiki) to GIS and non-GIS colleagues ;
- Analyze and valorize internal and external data sources;
- Take initiative to reconcile data and information gaps;
- Ensure quality of data and information prior to wider circulation and publication;
- Participate in briefings related to GIS;
- Carry out remotely technical RS support to ICRC GIS officers;Support and train staff to perform general Data Analysis as requested by the departments;
- Maintain the Mapsearch up-to-date with the most recent maps produced by the GIS officers network;
- Generate dashboards and infographics;
- Perform other data and information management-related duties as required;
- Participate to the testing phase of the ongoing GIS modules and architecture upgrade.
Certifications / Education required
- University degree in a related field;
- Good practice of remote sensing: ERDAS, ENVI, e-cognition, GRASS and/or related remote sensing software (Google Earth Engine);
- Good practice of ESRI software and database management;
- Strong interest in machine-learning;
- Knowledge of graphic Design software;
- Knowledge of RADAR image analysis is an asset;
- Knowledge of programming languages Python R, ArcPy, is an asset;
- Good practice in French or English.
Professional Experience required
Previous similar experience would be a plus.
- Type of role: Traineeship
- Working rate: 100%
- Starting date: 24/08/2020
- Location: Geneva (may start remotely due to Covid situation)
- Length of assignment: 12 months
- Relocation: Not provided for traineeships
- Visa/permit: Legitimacy card provided
- Gross monthly salary: 3000 CHF
- Application deadline: 21/06/2020
- Application documents required: diplomas, work certificates, scan color of passport – please upload it on your profile
The ICRC values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates.