Organizational Setting One of the main functions assigned to the IAEA by its Statute is to foster the exchange of scientific and technical information and the dissemination of knowledge in the nuclear field among Member States. To facilitate the effective exchange and dissemination of information relevant to the IAEA's work and mandate, the Division of Conference and Document Services coordinates and supports the implementation of these activities for its users and clients, both internal and external, by organizing meetings and conferences, issuing documents in the six official IAEA languages, i.e. Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish, and editing, printing and distributing publications.The IAEA has an extensive publishing programme, implemented by its Publishing Section, which produces a wide range of publications on nuclear related issues in both print and electronic formats. Inputs in the form of manuscripts of scientific/technical publications, advocacy items, electronic publishing requests and graphic Design proposals originating from all parts of the house are handled by the Publishing Section. Main Purpose The Publishing Editor provides professional support and basic editing assistance to the Editing Unit and in-house clients for the preparation of manuscripts for publication, according to the IAEA's publishing policies, rules and guidelines and to ensure that the IAEAâs quality standards are being met, providing assistance where appropriate and ensuring that the relevant part of the publishing workflow is managed efficiently. He/she is responsible for coordinating with staff in the Publishing Section, and other relevant staff in the IAEA on specific publications; coordinates and maintains a network of qualified Freelance staff, providing support and training as identified by the Unit Head-Editing. Role The Publishing Editor (PE) is primarily an editing Coordinator, ensuring effective communication and implementation of the IAEAâs quality standards, providing information and additional publishing and editorial support at different stages of manuscript preparation and processing. Under the supervision of the Unit Head-Editing, the PE coordinates the recruitment and the contracted work for freelance staff, acting as the main liaison between identified freelancer editors and IAEA contacts. He/she is responsible for coordinating publishing advice at different stages of the publishing workflow on selected publications and provides copyediting services on selected documents. Functions / Key Results ExpectedApply Now
- Provide information and facilitate professional editing support for the preparation of scientific/technical publications, provide clients with publishing support on selected manuscripts in the context of IAEA publishing policies, rules, guidelines and procedures for scientific / technical manuscripts and other publications.
- Provide editorial Quality Control support by ensuring that the IAEA's editorial standards are met in the preparation of selected English-language publications.
- Refer clients to competent sources of information on general publishing issues such as editing practices, layout and formatting, printing operations and web posting.
- Under supervision of the Unit Head-Editing, build and support the network of supporting freelance resource.
- Work in collaboration with colleagues to coordinate the Publishing Sectionâs Advanced Publication Advice (APA) service for edited manuscripts and provide basic editing services for selected manuscripts.
- In collaboration with the Publishing Liaison Officer, check that publications and related information is complete before submission to the PC.
- Provide cover and support to other staff in similar roles, during peak times and vacation periods.
- University degree in English or relevant publishing or scientific degree.
- Minimum two years of relevant experience in the publishing environment required. A background in an international environment is an asset.
- Experience directly related to commissioning, copy editing or development of scientific/technical materials or proven experience in dealing with originators of scientific and technical publications in a complex international setting.
- Experience of working with diverse groups and managing conflicting priorities to deliver a high level of customer service.
- Excellent oral and written command of English. Knowledge of other official IAEA languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) is an asset.