Abt Associates is a specialist international health and social sector consulting company that provides services to public and private sector clients. Abt Associates is a wholly owned Australian subsidiary of Abt Associates, regularly ranked as one of the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 international development innovators. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors, contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Abt Associates is an organisation that has a personal commitment to its staff and as such we value the long-term relationships that we build with the people who work for us.
Abt Associates is supporting the Ministry of Health to implement the ADB-funded Systems Strengthening for Effective Coverage of New Vaccines in the Pacific project. The project will introduce three new vaccines: HPV vaccine to prevent cervical cancer caused by human papillomavirus (HPV), Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine (PCV) to prevent pneumonia and other diseases caused by the pneumococcal bacteria, and RV vaccine to prevent diarrhoea caused by rotavirus (RV).
The introduction of the three new vaccines into Samoa’s routine immunisation strategy is an important move in preventing disease and promoting health in the Samoan population. The position will be located within the Ministry of Health, working closely with counterparts in the Ministry of Health, Ministry of Finance, and UNICEF.
The Public Health Specialist (Samoa & Tonga) will be responsible for the overall leadership and implementation of the regional project.
The specialist will oversee country specific workplan development and implementation of the IPM and coordinate with UNICEF on targeted technical support proposed under the project.
The specialist will report to the Project Directors for each of the countries; and coordinate and maintain strong working relationships with local ADB, UNICEF, WHO and other stakeholders at country-office levels.
The specialist will ensure gender sensitive and inclusive systems and procedures to deliver the outputs in the project design, including the DMF, ensure gender mainstreaming and social inclusion throughout all activities, and align with the regional and national strategies of the governments of Samoa and Tonga.
- Develop collegial working relationships with key stakeholders including the relevant Ministries of Health and Finance counterparts, key regional development partners e.g. WHO and UNICEF, and local NGOs/CSOs, church groups and community leaders
- Develop the overall country project and annual workplans through a bottom-up approach
- Monitor the project’s socioeconomic impacts
- Anticipate, minimize and manage project risks
- Ensure the MOHs have effective operating procedures that are in line with ADB operational guidelines for all project activities, disbursements, reporting, and monitoring and evaluation to achieve results
Further information regarding other key duties is included in the Terms of Reference in the ‘View Position Description’ link on the job advert page of the Abt Associates website.
- Medical or nursing degree, post-graduate qualifications in public health, or equivalent;
- At least 15 years senior experience in public health leadership and management, and at least five years as team leader and experience in working in the Asia-Pacific region;
- Experience in the introduction of new vaccines and/or managing immunization programs and/or public health programs; and
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with multiple stakeholders, with ADB and with partners