NRC has now been operational in Myanmar for 10 years and has three area of operation and 11 field offices; North West; Rakhine and Chin, North East; Kachin and Shan and South East; Mon, Taninthary, Kayin, Kayah, and Bago. NRC responds to the needs of people displaced by multiple conflicts, those displaced by natural hazards and those vulnerable to displacement. NRC Myanmar has placed the protection of displaced people as its highest strategic aim and aims to integrate programming to achieve an holistic, protection-focused response. This position will play a key role in supporting NRC in the delivery of its Myanmar programme. This role will work to ensure protection of beneficiaries within programming. The Protection Advisor will play a key role in identifying priority protection concerns, guiding protection interventions, and strengthening incorporation of protection into all aspects of NRC and our partners’ activities to promote an improved protection and Humanitarian Response environment for IDPs, people at risk of displacement and returnees. This post is for 24 months, with a possibility of extension, and reports to the Head of Programme.Apply Now
Duties and responsibilities
- Strengthen NRC's response to prioritised country protection issues within the country and internationally.
- Provide timely and context specific information to internal and external stakeholders.
- Support and train programme and partners’ staff to mainstream protection and do-no-harm into their projects and activities and respond to prioritised advocacy and protection concerns.
- Play an active and strategic role in the humanitarian community to strengthen the protection response in accordance with the NRC country strategy.
- Support programme and partners’ staff in incorporating protection into all aspects of NRC’s programme activities.
- Ensure the provision of high quality Analysis on the humanitarian situation.
- Position NRC as an effective spokesperson on protection and humanitarian principles.
- Support the Head of Programme to position NRC with donors to access opportunities for protection programming.
- Design, initiate, guide and monitor protection activities in cooperation with programme staff.
- Support the Area Managers to ensure that programme staff identify and respond to prioritised protection concerns.
- Ensure proper implementation and management of the Complaints and Feedback Mechanism, and the Referral System.
- Minimum 5 years of experience from working as a protection advisor/Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Professional knowledge of humanitarian and protection principles
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Previous experience in working in IDP camp and non-camp settings is an asset
- Previous experience in guiding protection monitoring and case management activities, as well as support to durable solutions, is an asset
- Knowledge of the context and languages in Myanmar is an asset
- A good sense of humour is an asset !