Within the framework of the current UNDAF and Country Programme Document (CPD) for 2016-2020, UNDP activities are focused on enhancing national capacities, particularly in evidence-based policymaking, and supporting the formulation of integrated national Development Strategies, ensuring equitable economic growth and increased opportunities for decent employment. This includes special attention to the formulation and implementation of national poverty reduction strategy by promoting job creation, effective social protection system and addressing regional disparities. UNDP is also providing support in improving the business environment by promoting productive/sustainable employment opportunities for vulnerable groups, especially youth, supporting measures to foster women’s economic potential and institutionalizing integrated services to agricultural producers and especially for smallholder farmers and
The Project Support Specialist will work with and provide support to UNDP’s Inclusive Growth Cluster portfolio in development and implementation of effective programmes and projects in close collaboration with the Cluster on Environment and Climate Action. The Project Support Specialist will contribute to research, financial management and overall projects implementation, including providing necessary operational, administrative and programmatic support. The Project Support Specialist will work in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ employees in the Country Office and regional office if necessary. Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the UNDP Programme Analyst on Inclusive Growth, the incumbent will provide support to the UNDP initiatives in areas of equitable socio-economic development, poverty reduction, effective labor market policies, promoting SMEs and private sector development, farming, investments and trade facilitation. Duties and Responsibilities
Programme/project initiation and implementation roles:
- Sound contribution to respective programmes/projects development: draft project proposals, facilitate internal and external discussions, develop full-fledged draft project documents with results and resources framework, theory of change, budget, annual work plans, organize pre-PAC and LPAC meetings;
- Support in Coordination of projects in the area of livelihoods, poverty and inequality, promoting youth employment, private sector development, farming, trade and investments;
- Support project implementation including budget revision when necessary, discuss annual work plans, progress in achieving results, and financial delivery, including through ATLAS;
- Assist with spot-check and monitoring visit plans to programmes/projects and its implementation together with other relevant office staff, ensuring that recommendation of the visits are followed by the project personnel concerned;
- Support programme and projects to build and facilitate effective dialogue with government officials, regional organizations, relevant inter-governmental organizations, respective private sector and business communities, etc.;
- Contribute to the CO resource mobilization by means of identifying relevant opportunities and assist in discussions with the government, donors and CSO towards the mobilization of resources for programmes/projects, advise on budget procedures, monitor the financial status of programmes/projects with cost-sharing from donors;
- Provide assistance in developing, implementation, and monitoring of coordinated support to the national SDG process and the national development agenda.
Analytical functions and the role in knowledge sharing:
- Participate and contribute in conceptual Design, development and peer-review of various knowledge and policy products (ie, policy papers, briefs, reports, infographics, diagnostics, one-pagers, guides, presentations etc.)
- Facilitate knowledge and best practice sharing with the government, donors, stakeholders, experts, academia, clients, donors, and other partners in the areas of equitable socio-economic development, evidence-based policy advice, financing for development, PFM reforms, promoting SMEs, entrepreneurship, private sector development, investments and trade, farming, innovation, and SDGs.
- Conduct analysis of UNDP’s ongoing programmes and projects and recommend promotion of synergies among them.
- Perform other duties, as required
- Demonstrating ethics and integrity
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
Functional competencies include strong managerial/leadership experience and decision-making skills as well as proven ability to provide strategic direction in practice area. In-depth practical knowledge of sustainable development issues. Excellent project managerial skills.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Excellent programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills; Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them)
- Excellent knowledge of Results Based Management; Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making
- Proven ability to lead a practice area and drive for results with a strong knowledge of Results-based Management and to manage complex budgetary arrangements. Demonstrated substantive leadership and ability to integrate knowledge with broader strategic, policy and operational objectives. Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with diverse partners and clients.
- Performs analysis of reform implementation scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Identifies needs and interventions for Capacity Building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
Communications and Networking
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and analytical skills. Proven ability to coordinate activities of a complex nature in a multi-stakeholder environment as well as ability to communicate convincingly orally and in writing on multifaceted subjects.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively across disciplines in a multi-cultural environment is important. Willingness to integrate ideas of others into own thinking and applies newly acquired skills.
- Ability to persuade others to follow
Knowledge Management and Advocacy
- Creates effective advocacy strategies
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement;
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
University degree or equivalent in economics, finance, social policy, business Administration or development studies;
Minimum 3 years of relevant working experience in programme and project implementation and coordination; past working experience in government and international development organization will be an asset;
Proficiency in English, fluency in Russian and Uzbek languages;
- Strong analytical and coordination skills in handling complex tasks;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at the same time and under pressure, creativity and propensity to innovate;
- Ability to communicate sensitively and effectively across different constituencies and different cultures;
- Ability to work harmoniously in a team;
- Computer skills (standard Microsoft Office applications and Internet use).
- UNDP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified female candidates, people with disabilities, and minorities are highly encouraged to apply.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.