Post Number : 5JOCLT0005PA Grade : P-3 Parent Sector : Culture Sector (CLT) Duty Station: Amman Job Family: Culture Type of contract : Project Appointment Duration of contract : 1 year Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 18-SEP-2020 RE-ADVERTISEMENT UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism Duration of contract: One (1) year with the possibility of an extension subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST Under the overall authority of the Head of the UNESCO Amman Office and direct supervision of the Senior Project Officer and in liaison with the relevant Culture (CLT) staff in the UNESCO Amman Office, the incumbent will support the implementation of the Jordanian component of the project "Support to livelihoods through cultural heritage development” (hereafter referred to as "the project"). The primary goal of the project is to improve self reliance through access to immediate short-term decent job opportunities for Syrians, Jordanians and Iraqis in the cultural heritage sector through employment intensive schemes in the northern governorates in Iraq and Jordan. The project will also set the basis for an enabling environment for Entrepreneurship development in the cultural heritage sector. The core competences of UNESCO and International Labour Organization come together in this project to ensure dignified, sustainable livelihoods and to create economic opportunities for Jordanians and Iraqis in host communities and for Syrian refugees through culture as a source of resilience. In line with governmental and international priorities and actions in response to the Syria crisis the proposed project targets: 1) on a short term, immediate measures that promote human dignity and social cohesion in preparation for longer term economic opportunities; 2) on the longer term, sustainable decent work opportunities and entrepreneurial activities within an enabling policy environment. This will be achieved by engaging Syrians, Jordanians and Iraqis in the preservation and development of cultural heritage sites for tourism purposes in the northern districts of Jordan and Iraq, through the use of employment intensive schemes for the safeguarding and the rehabilitation of cultural heritage (clearance, maintenance, consolidation, site development and presentation). Long Description The incumbent’s main responsibilities will include; provide technical oversight in the Design of Site Maintenance And Tourism Development Plans (SMTDP) for each selected site and provide technical supervision for the implementation of each interventions according to the recent guidelines for labour intensive approaches; ensure that the target numbers of job opportunities are actually generated on a regular bases throughout the project implementation; establish, manage and monitor contracts with multiple consultants/contractors engaged in such interventions; facilitate the collaboration and communication between the management team and all relevant government and non-government stakeholders in this regard; facilitate the organization of events and meetings throughout the course of the project as required Under the overall authority of the Head of the Amman Office and the direct supervision of the Senior Project Officer, the core activities of the incumbent will be to provide technical oversight, the preparation and implementation according to the labour intensive approaches of Site Maintenance and Tourism Development Plans for each of the selected heritage sites, including, but not limited to: Long DescriptionApply Now
- Support the Technical Committee functioning and meetings; provide technical oversight in the design of Site Maintenance And Tourism Development Plans (SMTDP) for each selected site
- Provide technical supervision for the implementation of each interventions according to the recent guidelines for employment intensive (EI) approaches
- Plan and coordinate all activities relating to the implementation of the interventions of this component of the project;
- Supervise experts as required for the design, implementation and monitoring of the interventions in the two governorates, which specifically will include site clearance, consolidation, development and presentation;
- Supervise the establishment, management and monitoring of contracts and relationships with multiple implementing partners/consultants/contractors covering the range of expertise required to successfully implement the activities and in respect of the rules and regulations of the Organization;
- Liaise with and facilitate consultation between the relevant local authorities in Jordan, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), private companies and local community stakeholders as required and necessary;
- Help to organize stakeholder meetings and capacity-building workshops concerning heritage preservation, management and possible integration with development processes;
- Organize events to enhance awareness raising and programme visibility both inside and outside Jordan; support he promotion of the rehabilitated site for local and international al tourism
- Facilitate information sharing amongst stakeholders, representation of UNESCO with local authorities and communities, NGOs and the donors in the course of the program;
- Support the Senior Project Officer in the design and implementation of the base line assessment, inclusive of gender Analysis to promote women’s involvement in the works
- Support the feasibility study on the viability to create Public Private Partnerships (PPP) in cultural resources management
- Undertake site visits as necessary and requested for programme implementation in Jordan.
- Advanced University degree (Masters or equivalent) in Architecture, Archeology, Conservation or relative fields.
- Minimum four (4) years of professional experience in Cultural Heritage.
- Excellent knowledge of English language (both written and spoken).