UNDP/GEF launched a new project in the area of Climate Change designed to assist the Government of the Republic of Belarus to implement its greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reduction commitments under the Paris Agreement to the UNFCCC in the context of national sustainable development goals.
Specifically, project objective is to build Belarus’ capacities to Design and implement market-based Climate Finance mechanisms, to improve and continuously update its Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC), as well as to set-up a robust Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV) system for GHG emissions in the priority sectors (Energy, Industrial processes, Agriculture, Waste, LULUCF). The project consists of three inter-linked components. The first component addresses capacity and knowledge constraints related to preparation and update of national and sectoral NDC targets, as well as limited awareness about market-based climate finance mechanisms in Belarus. Under the second component the project will set-up and strengthen MRV system, specifically for the priority sectors identified in NDC. The third component in partnerships with local and international organizations and initiatives will support the development and implementation of MRV pilots in selected sectors to gain practical experience and facilitate interactions and learning-by-doing for all stakeholders involved in the MRV system.
Objective of the assignment:
The objective of this assignment is to ensure effective implementation of the project with delivery of all the intended outcomes and outputs in accordance with the Project Document within the approved budget.
Work Performed/or responsibilities:
The Project Manager assumes overall responsibility for the successful implementation of all project activities and the achievement of planned project outputs. He/she reports directly to the UNDP CO and works in close Coordination with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection of the Republic of Belarus. The Project Manager will be based in Minsk. The Project Manager is responsible for:
Overall project management:
- Assumes primary responsibility for the daily project management - both organizational and substantive matters, budgeting, planning, controlling the project expenditures and general monitoring of the project;
- Coordinates project activities with other related technical assistance projectsprograms in Belarus;
- Coordinates project activities to ensure project effective implementation and achievement of all the expected results in accordance with the approved Global Environment Facility (GEF) CEO Endorsement Request and UNDP Project Document in a cost-effective manner meeting the established internal and external deadlines.
Project administrative and financial management:
- Ensures operational project management in accordance with the project documents as approved by the donor and the Government in line with the UNDP rules and procedures for nationally executed projects, including:
- Prepares annual work plans, including financial plans, in consultation with UNDP Country office and UNDP Regional Centre in Istanbul (where relevant), ensures the plans are approved in a timely manner, ensures adherence thereto, revises work plans as required;
- Ensures that project activities are implemented in accordance with the approved work plans and budget table and budget notes as approved by GEF;
- Assumes overall responsibility for the proper handling of logistics related to project workshops and events;
- Assumes overall responsibility for recruitment of project personnel and short term consultants, along with procurement of goods and services performed by the project in accordance with the Project Document and with approved annual work plans;
- Prepares Terms of Reference (ToR) for national and international consultants and subcontractors in line with the approved GEF Endorsement Request and following relevant UNDP procedures. Guides the work of consultants and subcontractors and ensures compliance with the agreed work plan and respective ToR securing high quality of the results;
- Ensures adequate management of the project resources in accordance with the project budget as approved by GEF, agreed work plans and the Project Document. Ensures related record keeping;
- Assumes overall responsibility for timely reporting on project in accordance with the respective UNDP and GEF requirements vis-à-vis indicators in the logframe;
- Prepares and timely submits project narrative annual and progress reports, as requested by UNDP and the Ministry of Environment, including, among others, GEF Project Implementation Reviews, UNDP annual reports, GEF quarterly progress reports;
- Monitors the expenditures, commitments and balance of funds under the project budget lines. Ensures that financial delivery targets set out in the agreed annual work plans are met. Prepares and timely submits financial reports ensuring correctness of financial information provided. Prepares and timely submits budget revisions in accordance with the respective UNDP rules for GEF funded projects;
- Liaises with project partners ensuring their co-financing contributions are provided within the agreed terms;
- Secures appropriate management of project assets (both, for internal use and for subsequent transfer to national beneficiaries) attaining to the respective UNDP rules and procedures;
- Monitors risks and project impact indicators as per the project logical framework. Timely undertakes actions to eliminate/reduce risks and issues. Regularly informs UNDP and the Executive Agency on the risks and issues, and actions undertaken to eliminate/reduces these risks/issues;
- Ensure proper operational and financial closure of the project in line with the relevant UNDP/GEF procedures.
- Supervises and coordinates the work of the project team, national and international consultants and subcontractors to ensure its results are in accordance with the Project Document and the rules and procedures established in the UNDP Programming Manual and national rules and procedures;
- Supervises and coordinates the work of the Project Management Unit, subcontracted individuals and legal entities;
- Supervises work of the project team and ensures compliance with the agreed plans and delivery and high quality of the results in accordance with respective Terms of Reference.
- Maintains regular contacts with the UNDP Country Office, the Project National Director on project implementation issues of their respective competence;
- Liaises with relevant ministries, other national and international relevant institutions in order to involve them in project activities as necessary and gather and disseminate information relevant to the project;
- Ensures proper information coverage of project activities and PR in accordance with the respective UNDP and GEF rules and procedures;
- Ensures adequate information flow, discussions and feedback among the various stakeholders of the project;
- Coordinates project activities with other related technical assistance programs in Belarus;
- Assists in organizing negotiations on cooperation with national government bodies and potential donors in order to identify and mobilize additional resources.
- Undertakes any other actions related to managing of the project as requested by the respective UNDP Programme Officer.
- Job knowledge and expertise: understands the job requirements; can apply practical knowledge of financial and budgeting processes; manages effectively financial, human and material resources of the project; knows the subject;
- Result Orientation: assesses the performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work; demonstrates ability to manage data and prioritize tasks; is accountable for project implementation and team deliverables, anticipates constraints and identifies solutions;
- Communication: builds professional networks with partners, donors; communicates clearly; presents ideas clearly both in Russian and English; report writing skills; persuades others to embrace new ideas;
- Leadership: determines appropriate resources, methods, partners, information and solution; actively shares experience and knowledge; generates individual commitment, excitement and excellence; ability to manage conflicts and solve problems
- University degree in Environmental Management, energy, sustainable development, public Administration, or management, or any other related field;
- Advanced degree or academic training in these areas would be considered an asset;
- At least 2 years of relevant professional work experience project management;
- Previous working experience in the area of climate changes policies and climate finance mechanisms;
- Working knowledge of national and UNDP rules and regulations is an asset;
- Excellent written and spoken English, Belarusian andor Russian are required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.