Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Head of the Environment Portfolio, the Project Coordinator will provide substantive technical and administrative support to the Advancing National Papua New Guinea Adaptation Fund project (NAP). The Project Coordinator will be responsible for the implementation of the project; design project portfolios and promote organization’s capacity as a reliable partner with national counterparts. Ensure coordination of sectoral activities with broader country programme. Advocate on behalf of organization’s goals.
Climate change continues to negatively impact Papua New Guinea (PNG). This affects PNG’s growth trajectory and the socio-economic opportunities people may otherwise enjoy. Building resilience to climate change has featured in national dialogue and political commitments for over a decade. Recognised as an acute challenge for PNG, Government and partners have committed to mainstream climate action in their planning and delivery. Major policy initiatives such as Vision 2050 and the national Strategy for Responsible Sustainable Development have broadened efforts to include better natural Resource Management, conservation and sustainable growth. Growing legal architecture has supported these efforts. PNG’s geography, its economic base, its exposure to external shocks and limited capacity across Government, however, make these challenges difficult to address.
The objective of this project is to formulate the Papua New Guinea’s National Adaptation Plan (NAP) with a focus on long term adaptation investment and enhancing national capacity for integration of climate change adaptation in planning, budgeting and financial tracking processes. This GCF NAP readiness support project will achieve this objective through three inter-related outcomes:
- Outcome 1: The coordination mechanism for multi-sectoral adaptation planning and implementation at different levels is strengthened,
- Outcome 2: Climate change risks are integrated into key national and sectoral policies and NAP is formulated,
- Outcome 3: Financing framework for climate change adaptation action for medium-to long-term is established
The Climate Change Development Authority and key personnel working on Climate Change Adaptation relevant programming in water resources, Agriculture and food security, coastal zones, and urban habitation (the “priority sectors”) will be the beneficiaries of this project.
The Project Coordinator will coordinate the overall project implementation, under the overall supervision of the Head of the Environment Portfolio. He/she will be supported by international and national consultants, government’ officials and support staff to carry out the day-to-day management of the project, under the direct supervision of the Country Director and in close collaboration with UNDP partners and program specialists.
The Project Coordinator will be responsible for the overall management of project activities, ensuring a proper workplan and budget is in place and implemented within set timelines, with an effective national team and strong partnerships. The Project Coordinator will ensure implementation mechanisms such as the National Steering Committee and technical working groups are established and meet regularly, that all planned workshops, technical studies and other activities are organized in a timely manner, meeting expected quality standards. The Project Coordinator will report directly to the Senior Climate Change Advisor and work under overall guidance from the Deputy Resident Representative.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide direction and guidance to project team(s)/ responsible party (ies),
- Liaise with the Project Board to assure the overall direction and integrity of the project,
- Identify and obtain any support and advice required for the management, planning and control of the project
- Responsible for project Administration,
- Plan the activities of the project and monitor progress against the project results framework and the approved annual workplan,
- Mobilize personnel, goods and services, training and micro-capital grants to initiative activities, including drafting terms of reference and work specifications, and overseeing all contractors’ work,
- Monitor events as determined in the project monitoring schedule plan/timetable, and update the plan as required,
- Manage requests for the provision of financial resources by UNDP, through advance of funds, direct payments or reimbursement using the fund authorization and certificate of expenditures,
- Monitor financial resources and accounting to ensure the accuracy and reliability of financial reports,
- Be responsible for preparing and submitting financial reports to UNDP on a quarterly basis,
- Manage and monitor the project risks initially identified and submit new risks to the project board for consideration and decision on possible actions if required; update the status of these risks by maintaining the project risks log,
- Capture lessons learned during project implementation,
- Prepare the annual workplan for the following year; and update the Atlas Project Management module if external access is made available,
- Prepare the Annual Project Report and submit the final report to the Project Board,
- Based on the Annual Project Report and the Project Board review, prepare the AWP for the following year,
- Identify follow-on actions and submit them for consideration to the Project Board,
- Ensure the terminal evaluation process is undertaken as per the UNDP guidance, and submit the final TE report to the Project Board.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards,
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP,
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability,
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism,
- As strong understanding of political sensitivities and ability to work positively with all partners in a politically dynamic environment
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Demonstrated capacity in knowledge sharing and knowledge management and ability to promote a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example,
- Ability to advocate and provide top quality Climate Change Adaptation Advisory Services with options for solututions on related issues,
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues,
- Ability to conduct research and Analysis and strong synthesis skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, Results-based Management and reporting,
- Ability to develop innovative approaches to Program Design, implementation, monitoring evaluation of development programmes and projects,
- Ability to mobilize resources and use in a cost-effective manner,
- Ability to work under minimal supervision,
- Ability to prioritise and complete tasks based on their urgency,
- Ability to manage time wisely and flexible to work longer hours when required
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback; consensus-oriented,
- Encourages risk-taking in the pursuit of creativity and innovation,
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills,
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude,
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills,
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities,
- Proactive and have the ability to discuss openly with all senior and technical government staff,
- Results-oriented and efficiency in a multi-tasking environment,
- Capacity to perform effectively under pressure and hardship conditions,
- Highly develop inter-personal, negotiation and teamwork skills, networking aptitude, ability to work in multi-cultural environment,
- Highly developed inter-cultural communication and skills;
- Minimum 10 years working experience whereas 5 years relevant experience within the disciplines of environmental science/management, geography, natural resource management, climate change, etc.,
- Experience in project managing teams working with government, private sectors, NGOs, and other key stakeholders,
- Demonstrated track record in the management, monitoring and reporting of similar project, preferably working with government, private sectors, NGOs, and other key stakeholders,
- Experience in guiding and supervising multi-disciplinary project teams,
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with senior members of national institutions,
- Sound knowledge on National Adaptation Plan, National Adaptation Programme of Action (NAPA) and relevant agreements such as the UNFCCC and its financing mechanisms,
- High degree of familiarity with the UNFCCC and its implementation in PNG and at global level would be an advantage,
- Good knowledge of the legislative and policy aspects of the adaptation framework in PNG,
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication and strategic negotiation skills, ability to work in a team,
- Excellent English drafting, presentation and facilitation skills.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.