- Transfer knowledge and skills to tax administrations on tax audits;
- Strengthen the institutional capacities of tax administrations in tax audits;
- Support South-South Cooperation;
- Promote best practices and peer learning;
- Help to strengthen tax compliance in developing countries;
Under the supervision of the Director of the Finance Sector Hub, the resource will manage the following:
Strategic and Multi-stakeholder Engagement:
- Collaborate on strategy for TIWB in Africa, including promote South-South cooperation
- Lead multi-stakeholder engagement for TIWB in Africa, including engaging with Tax experts within and outside Africa, OECD and other multilaterals, Donors, Governments, the Regional Bureau for Africa and UNDP Country offices in the region
- Generate demand for TIWB by engaging with UNDP Regional Bureau for Africa and Country Offices
- Collaborate on funding proposals for mobilizing additional donor resources for TIWB in Africa and globally, including relevant donor reporting
- Identify potential synergies for TIWB within UNDP’s Finance Hub in Pretoria and UNDP’s other areas of work in Africa
- Partner with relevant tax authorities in Africa and their networks including African Tax Administration Forum (ATAF) and Tax Justice Network Africa (TJNA).
Policy and Programme Support:
- Engage with UNDP country offices to analyze local context and identify potential synergies with UNDP’s policy and development work in-country
- Support UNDP country offices to engage substantively in expert deployments, including through providing expert advice, helping to formulate appropriate requests for assistance, assisting with briefing of experts before, during and after deployment
- Work as part of the UNDP Global Policy Network to contribute to policy papers/reports on domestic resource mobilization and other relevant areas
- Develop policy content on domestic resource mobilization, including blogs for the GPN
- Develop concept notes for technical workshops/webinars/side-events for TIWB
- Draft internal UNDP briefing notes and talking points for Senior Management on TIWB
- Using lessons from the TIWB to inform RBA activities including policy and programmatic activities.
- Manage TIWB programmes in Africa as per developed standard operating procedures, including collaborating on TIWB programme’s terms of reference
- Support setting up of TIWB programmes in country as required
- Manage evaluation and selection of roster tax experts for deployment in Africa , including overseeing their procurement and contracting as per UNDP standard operating procedures
- Support reporting duties related to TIWB globally and manage reporting in Africa, including project budgeting and cash flow management, and oversee its maintenance as per UNDP standard operating procedures
- Collaborate on evidence collection and lessons-learned from TIWB country experiences, including promoting best practice sharing and peer learning through case-studies
- Collaborate on knowledge management between various stakeholders, including experts’ engagement platform
- Compile and update tax and audit experts database in Africa and globally with a view to supporting efforts toward building tax administration capacity on the continent.
- Collaborate on communications for TIWB, including annual report, newsletters, videos, twitter engagement, amongst others
- Collaborate in organizing TIWB related events, including Governing Board Meetings, Technical Advisory Board Meetings, International Conferences, Side-events, amongst others
- Represent TIWB at international forums, conferences, events, as required.
Core Innovation Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Leadership Ability to persuade others to follow
People Management Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Communication Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Delivery Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Technical/Functional Programme and Knowledge Management and Learning Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
Development and Operational Effectiveness Knowledge of development effectiveness concepts, principles and issues and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations, covering the economic, social and environmental dimensions
Public Finance Knowledge of public finance and fiscal policy reform and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
Global Development Finance Knowledge of global development financial trends, global financial institutions and processes, and ability to apply in strategic and/or practical situations.
Collaboration and Partnership Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside (Programmes/projects) or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support. Sets overall direction for the formation and management of strategic relationships contributing to the overall positioning of UNDP
Communication Ability to effectively communicate intensions and requirements to internal and external stakeholders
Resource Mobilization Ability to identify and organize programmes and projects to implement solutions and generate resources.
- Master's degree in economics, development studies, public administration or related field.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible work experience in a position directly related to public expenditure management, taxation or financing for development;
- Excellent knowledge of current trends and debates regarding development financing and taxation issues in Africa;
- Strong record in advising international institutions and/or governments on public expenditure management, taxation and financing for development in Africa;
- Strong publications and writing record;
- Experience of UNDP or UN-system highly desirable;
- Experience of working in or with developing countries in Africa essential;
- Experience in policy research; and
- Excellent analytical skills
- Strong writing skills in relevant thematic areas
- Good team player and ability to work to work within tight deadlines and under pressure.
- Fluent in English, and French desired.
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP; and
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability.