UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the Empowerment of Women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, Humanitarian Action and peace and security. In Cameroon, UN Women is implementing its Strategic program for the period 2018-2020 to contribute to the Government's efforts to make Cameroon "an emerging country based on the principle of good governance where men and women enjoy the same rights and participate equitably to its development ". The Strategic Note 2018-2020 identified five (5) key priority areas. 1. Governance, leadership and Political Participation 2. Women's economic empowerment 3. Ending all forms of violence against women and girls 4. Women peace and security and humanitarian action 5. Border issues with a program on Second Chance Education Reporting to the Deputy Representative, the Programme Specialist exercises overall responsibility for planning, implementing, and managing UN Women interventions. The Programme Specialist works in close collaboration with the program and operation teams, UN Women Regional and HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women program implementation.Apply Now
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures effective management of the CO program focusing on quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to implementation
- Develop the CO annual workplan and budget and manage its implementation;
- Ensure effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of results.
- Design and formulate CO concept notes, programs and projects within UN Women Strategic Note priority areas, translating these priorities into local interventions.
- Manage the program budget and the draft financial reports and coordinate program implementation with the executing partners.
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the program, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UN Women rules and regulations.
- Ensure effective monitoring, measuring the impact of the CO program and evaluation.
- Ensure constant monitoring and Analysis of the program environment, timely readjustment of program.
- Follow up on audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported.
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes.
- Coordinate the preparation of donor reports from program officers.
- Supervise Program Managers/Officers; Mentor and coach staff and conduct performance assessments;
- Oversee recruitment processes, as necessary.
- Build partnerships and support resource mobilization strategies
- Build and manage relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the program; respond to any potential problems
- Implement the CO partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve program outcomes.
- Develop partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.
- Identify programmatic areas of cooperation, based on UN Women SN key priority areas, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analyze and research of information on donors, prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing
- Contribute to inter-agency Coordination to achieve coherence and alignment of UN Women programs with other partners in the country
- Provide Technical Support to the Representative and Deputy Representative on inter-agency coordination related activities by attending meetings, events, and participating in groups and committees as needed;
- Coordinate with other UN agencies, government departments, donors and NGOs to ensure the program is harmonized and aligned with UNSDCF.
- Contribute to PMT working group and ensure gender mainstreaming in UNSDCF.
- Promote and design Joint Programs and identify areas of collaboration within the UN system
- Manage advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Contribute and review background documents, briefs and presentations related to the Program;
- Represent UN Women in meetings and policy dialogues as necessary;
- Develop advocacy strategies and oversee their implementation;
- Identify and document best practices and lessons learned to guide and inform program improvement and strategy planning;
- Develop knowledge management strategies, products and methodologies on the program
- Provide provision of policy options on Gender Equality and Women Economic Empowerment
- Train and build capacity for UN Women staff and Government officials, public institutions on Gender Equality and Women Economic Empowerment
- Establish advocacy networks at national level and linked to international networks on Gender Equality and Women Economic Empowerment.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation and certification: · Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/women's studies, economics, international development, or a related field is required · A project/Program Management certification would be an added advantage Knowledge of a working tool in program management (RMS..etc) Experience: · At least 10 years of progressively responsible work experience at the national or international level in design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Development Projects; and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments, in strategic positions · Technical experience in thematic priorities; · Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset; · Experience working in the UN System is an asset; · Experience in leading/managing a team is an asset. Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset; Language Requirements:
- Fluency in English and French is required;
- Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset;