You are invited to join a team of dedicated development professionals whose primary role is to support the Maldives to achieve the 2030 Agenda. As part of the UNDP team your focus will be to work with multiple stakeholders to find the country specific solutions that ensures no one is left behind - and we reach those furthest behind first.
UNDP is looking for individuals who have the analytical, planning and implementation capacities that can address links, choices and connections across many issues and sectors. We seek individuals who can apply global best practice to national contexts. We are looking for people who are enthusiastic, motivated and committed to making a positive contribution to Development in the Maldives.
You will have strong knowledge and demonstrated experience in one or all of the following: governance; social cohesion; institutions and partnerships development; and peace building. Your role will be to contribute to building a portfolio of activities that help to shape effective Development Policy and programs in the Maldives.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Assistant Resident Representative, Governance, the Programme Manger ensures effective delivery of Integrated Governance Programme (IGP) by leading and coordinating the implementation of the programme activities. The Programme Manager supervises and leads the programme officer and Programme Support staff, coordinates activities of the projects’ staff. The Programme Manager works in close collaboration with the operations team, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP programme implementation.
He/She will have demonstrated knowledge of government institutions both at national and sub-national level. He/She will have demonstrated substantial experience in partnering with the private sector / civil society and other key stakeholders such as youth, women, and marginalized groups.
- Ensure timely and effective delivery of intended programme results and manage for results;
- Based upon the Results Resources Framework (RRF) develop detailed annual work plans for the programme in consultation with all partner institutions;· Provide overall guidance to and support Coordination of partners involved in the implementation of the IGP through supervision and guidance to programme officers;
- Provide policy and technical advice to UNDP management and the core Institutions of the programme, based on their programme objectives and related capacities;
- Provide supervision and technical direction to programme staff with regard to their work plans;
- Draft regular (quarterly and annual) progress reports as per UNDP requirements and also per requirements agreed upon with funding agencies, as well as recommendations on new actions and approaches should the need arise;
- Support UNDP efforts of resources mobilization, including planning and costing project inputs; briefing donors, and preparing donor progress reports as required by UNDP reporting rules and as requested by specific donors.
- Provide technical advice to the programme team to strengthen partnerships building and coordination between the programme and government partners, CSOs, donors and other stakeholders, as well as facilitating communication and exchange of lessons learned and good practices;
- Contribute to the establishment of user-friendly knowledge sharing platform as included in the programme framework.
- Guide development and implementation of the communication and outreach strategy to ensure adequate programme visibility and awareness in relation to implementation and achievements.
- Ensure that programme activities are closely coordinated with the stakeholders – both national and international – and that a high level of collaboration and cooperation is in place at all levels.
- Lead the effective implementation of programme activities in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Lead and manage a team of staff, including programme officers and administrative support staff, to ensure achievement of the programme objectives and compliance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Ensure that systems are in place for monitoring and evaluating the Programme's delivery of agreed results (e.g. development and management of the M&E plan) and lead monitoring and evaluation work in accordance with the UNDP norms and standards;
- Develop agenda, organize and lead agenda, follow up and coordinate, together with national partners, donors and development partners, the conduct of periodic Programme Board meetings, prepare and present required documentation and analytical reports to the Board and undertake follow up on the Board decisions and recommendations.; Provide technical advice and quality assurance on the work of the implementing partners, monitoring and evaluation and reporting functions;
- Maintain regular working relationships with other UNDP programmes to ensure overall integration of the Democratic Governance activities within the Country Office programme and UNSDCF;
- Assess the impact, effectiveness and relevance of the Programme interventions through regular field visits and highlight achievements, progress and challenges through impact and results-driven reports;
- Provide and identify expert technical advice on governance-related issues;
- Be responsible for quality assurance of technical deliverables from experts/consultants, contractors, implementing partners and programme staff, and provide them with substantive feedback and guidance;
- Support strategic positioning of UNDP by identifying emerging governance issues and response options.; and
- Develop and manage risk logs for the Programme;
- Support the audit of the programme;
- Carry out any other relevant duties and responsibilities as requested by the UNDP Senior Management.
- Contribute to mobilize resources to fill funding gaps of the programme and expand implementation;
- Ensure effective and accurate financial resources management and oversight, for all resources managed by the Programme accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
Knowledge Building and Sharing
- Support the Programme in the identification of knowledge gaps among Programme staff, target groups and beneficiaries and Design measures to address such gaps;
- Actively support the sharing of Programme results and products, lessons learned and good practices with other Programmes, government agencies, donors, etc.; and,
- Participate in UNDP global knowledge networks
- Innovation - Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Leadership - Ability to persuade others to follow
- People Management - Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Communication - Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Delivery - Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Quality Assurance - Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled
- Project Management - Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) - Knowledge of the Sustainable Development Goals and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
- Local Governance - Knowledge of local governance systems and institutions, decentralizations policies and laws, basic service delivery and recovery planning and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Operational Efficiency - Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency.
- Knowledge Facilitation - Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share.
- Team building - Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of professionals towards common goals
- Master’s degree in political science, social science, law, public Administration institutional/organizational development or related field with 2 years of experience.
- OR Bachelor’s Degree in political science, social science, law, public administration institutional/organizational development or related fields with more than 4 years of experience.
- Relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management Advisory Services, hands-on experience in design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Experience in a supervisory position in the field of governance, in the formulation, administrative / financial management and monitoring of projects / programs. Good knowledge of project planning and monitoring techniques and or any other similar experience.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based Management Systems.
- Proficiency in English and Dhivehi