The Programme Assistant is responsible for the Coordination of specialized and complex processes and activities in support of the delivery of the division's work programme, planning and budgeting activities. He/she provides procedural guidance to managers and staff in the division.
The Programme Assistant works under the general supervision of the Programme Officer (FAOR Network). The incumbent operates independently; supervision received is focused on the quality of work outputs. He/she provides responsible operational/clerical support to FAOR Network Management in the day-to-day operations.The incumbent operates independently and takes decisions on work priorities. Supervision received is focused on the quality of work outputs. He/ she provides guidance and advice to other Programme Support staff.Working Relationships
The Programme Assistant works closely with a wide range of colleagues in the division and with client departments/offices, ensuring the consistency and quality of programme/ project support services provided by the division.Key Functions/Results
- Monitor both Regular Programme and Projects budgets ensuring that funds are properly allocated and reported upon and take corrective action if required; inform management of any budget issues that may require attention;
- Provide support to budget holders in the preparation of the Periodic Budgetary Reports (PBR), the biennial Programme of Work and Budget (PWB) and related work plans for the division;
- Prepare projects' budget revisions in consultation with budget holders;
- Respond to a variety of routine queries and provide clarifications on programme and project matters; inform management and team members of processes, procedures and timeframes to secure administrative services needed for programme/project execution; initiate correspondence to verify data, obtain additional information on transactions and budgetary matters;
- Review Data Quality and maintain office records and reference files on various subjects; compile and synthesize data from various sources to support financial analyses on programme/project activities; generate periodic or ad-hoc management reports;
- Coordinate the full array of administrative and financial actions related to staff management, non-staff support, travel, payments, and procurement;
- Provide procedural guidance to Programme Assistants (G-4 level) and other staff in the work unit;
- Review and make recommendations to improve current programme/ projects Administration procedures and processes;
- Perform other functions as required.
The incumbent's work impacts directly on the smooth operations and performance of the division's programme/ project activities. He/ she plays a lead role in the provision of programme support services for successful achievement of the organizational unit's mandate.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWINGMinimum RequirementsEducation: Secondary School Education
Experience: Four years of relevant experience in the provision of programme/projects support servicesLanguages: Working knowledge (Level C) of English
IT Skills: Good knowledge of the MS Office applications, Internet and office technology equipmentCompetencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Very good knowledge of corporate Information Systems
Very good knowledge of programme and budget processes and procedures
Very good knowledge of common administrative and financial rules and regulations
Very good knowledge of communication and documentation standards
Desirable Qualifications And Skills
Working knowledge of French (Level B)
Training in project management, administration and/or finance
Experience in UN administrative procedures/guidelines and financial rules and regulations
Experience and knowledge of FAO corporate systems: COIN, FPMIS, Oracle and ATLAS
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a technical / competency-based interview.