- Conduct background research and/or supporting studies in the areas of chemicals, waste & ozone protection (and others, where relevant);
- Compile research materials in a systematic way and prepare background briefs/briefing notes as and when required;
- Collect and analyse data, and perform synthesis of information;
- Conduct preliminary review of reports;
- Liaise with external stakeholders (such as research institutions, NGOs and government agencies) to gather data/information and input for relevant and timely research to guide the delivery of outputs/reports.
- Evaluate and document best practices and lessons learnt;
- Prepare project monitoring and evaluation reports;
- Support the development of knowledge and communications products, working in consultation with the communications team;
- Prepare content for UNDP projects’ webpage, and input to knowledge networks and Communities of Practice.
- Assist with the preparation of budgets, tracking of project expenditure and the reconciliation of budgets and expenditure with implementing partners;
- Assist with the planning and organization of consultations/conferences/events/site visits, including liaising with partners and logistics arrangements;
- Prepare progress reports, meeting minutes, conference/seminar/workshop reports and maintain documentation and records;
- Assist with project procurement, hiring and logistics processes;
- Assist with documentation control and administrative work for all project matters;
- Assist with the preparation of information for audits;
- Perform any other duties assigned by Supervisor.
- Participation in the training for the operations/programme staff
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrates/safeguards ethics and integrity
- Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Independent, initiative-taking and shows self-development
- Acts as a team player and facilitates team work
- Facilitates and encourages open communication in the team and communicates effectively
- Manages conflict well
- Encourages learning and the sharing of knowledge
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Researches best practices and introduces new, more effective ways of doing things
- Understands the main processes and methods of work of the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate manner
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- A first-level university degree in environmental studies, engineering, chemistry or related discipline;
- A Master’s degree in environmental studies, engineering, chemistry or related discipline is an advantage.
- Min. 5 years of relevant work experience (or min. 3 years for Master’s degree holders) at the national and/or international level;
- Experience in conducting research, analysis and generating reports;
- Experience in working with government agencies and and/or industry SMEs will be an added advantage;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages;
- Knowledge in project management an asset.
- Language Requirements: Fluency in written and spoken English and Bahasa Malaysia is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.