Organ: The Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT) is responsible for the organization and coordination of the work of the Telecommunication Development Sector (ITU-D) of the Union which deals mainly with ICT-focused development policies, strategies and programmes, as well as technical cooperation activities, to promote digital inclusion and drive digital transformation at community, country and regional levels. To effectively and efficiently serve the needs of ITU members, BDT is organized into four functional areas:Apply Now
- Office of the Deputy to the Director and Field Operations Coordination Department
- Partnerships for Digital Development Department
- Digital Networks & Society Department
- Digital Knowledge Hub Department
- Provides assistance to programme coordinators in the expansion and administration of programmes and projects. Supports programme and project identification, planning and implementation. Proposes corrective actions. Conducts topic and situational analysis, informing supervisor(s) of findings.
- Contributes to the definition of programme and project requirements by evaluating existing cooperation programmes and project documents. Prepares programme and project proposal information and revises information as required.
- Researches developments in the area of expertise of the subject matter. Conducts research on local, national and regional issues relating to information technology. Analyses and interprets background history and documentation of programmes and projects. Prepares, compiles and exchanges information as required for presentations, speeches, documents, reports and papers, contributing background information. Conducts research to identify extra budgetary funds and programme and project sponsors.
- Attends meetings, conferences or events; prepares presentations on topics related to ITU/BDT activities in the Region and drafts speeches.
- Collaborates with the corresponding Bureau at headquarters and the corresponding Offices in the region and supports the organization's and United Nations efforts to strengthen positions with intellectual and academic institutions. Identifies and proposes cooperation opportunities on a regular basis.
- Contributes to the preparation of the draft Operational Plan by analysing requests received and proposing actions to fulfil priorities set by the Regional Initiatives preparing the draft budget for each proposed activity, including activities of digital skills development and capacity building; assists with the coordination and monitoring of its implementation in the Region when approved.
- Participates in administrative activities related to the implementation of regional, sub-regional and national FIT projects under the responsibility of the Regional Office; analyses progress and prepares reports; guides and orients the contributions of consultants, project personnel, donors, institutions and governments towards the achievement of the projects objectives.
- Implements the decisions/recommendations of World and Regional Development Conferences; works in close cooperation with BDT clusters, those pertaining to the Region.
- Contributes to the maintenance of IT Infrastructure of the Regional Office including the ITU Regional Office webpage, servers, LANs, leased line connectivity, Wi-Fi connectivity and upkeep of IT devices for Regional Office, in close collaboration with the IT team at ITU HQ.
- Performs any other related duties that may be assigned by the Director of the Regional Office.
- Core Competencies: Applying Expertise; Effective Communication; Learning and Knowledge Sharing; Organizational Commitment; Results-Focused, and; Teamwork and Collaboration.
- Essential Functional Competencies: Analysis, Judgement and Decision-Making; Client and Service Orientation; Innovation and Facilitating Change; Networking and Building Partnerships, and; Planning and Organizing.
- Essential Technical Competencies: Excellent research skills and very good knowledge of global trends in the area of the work. Knowledge of information technology networks, projects, cloud, software and data analytical frameworks in the area/region. Knowledge of project management principles and methodologies.