Desired start date: August (may be posponed due to current country entry restrictions)
Duration of the mission: 11 months
Location: Colombia, Bucaramanga
The present position is open de national and international staff
ABOUT THE MISSION
Brief overview of Solidarités International’s work in the country:
Solidarités International is operational in Colombia since October 2019. The mission is currently working on reinforcing WASH conditions in the shelters (refugios) along the route between Cucuta and Bucaramanga. Venezuelans are walking along this route aiming at reaching one of Colombia’s major cities or a third country. They are very vulnerable at this stage and SI plans, together with PUI, to reinforce access to basic services along the route, particularly in the shelters managed by local organizations.
How the mission is organised:
The mission is currently limited in size and its footprint in only 4 “refugios”. The upcoming project will drastically increase the operational/financial and HR volume of the mission. The operations are managed from Bucaramanga and a small Coordination structure will be created in Bogota.
The base should grow up around 35 national staffs and 3 international staff.
Specific context of the area in which the expatriate will be working:
The security context is stable in this part of Colombia. Besides usual criminal risks (existing in the country generally), the social context is tense with some of the Local Communities that feel jeopardized by the massive arrival of Venezuelans and those who help them. This balance and necessary dialogue is a key to understand the context dynamics and adapt the response to Venezuelans needs but also to local communities’ perceptions and vulnerabilities. The context of living in Bucaramanga is good and leaves the expatriate with few restrictions. The program being multisectoral and implemented with several partners (PUI and local organizations), the coordination is key.
ABOUT THE JOB
General objective of the position
The program manager is in charge of implementing and achieving the objectives defined in the proposals.
He/she is in charge of supervising the operational teams allocated to his/her program.
He/she guarantees the proper execution and the quality of the implemented program and, if applicable, suggests adjustments or developments to ensure its relevance.
Project relevance, quality and Design**
- Contribute to establishing assessments
- Contribute to define Solidarités International’s local strategy and contribute to the annual programming by proposing new activities
- Organize and facilitate evaluation missions
- Propose a technical approach and a financial, human and logistical scope for the programs to be implemented
- Write the technical annexes and chapters (including the logical framework) for the proposals
Implement activities in compliance with the annual operational strategy, Solidarités International’s technical requirements and the financial donors’ criteria
Evaluate the relevance of the activities carried out, as well as the effectiveness of the interventions and their appropriateness with respect to contextual developments and the populations’ needs
Propose adjustments to the programs, if necessary
Ensure that the programs under his/her supervision achieve the required results
Ensure that program objectives meet sustainability requirements and, if required, compliance with established norms and standards
Participate in building the Refuges Management and coordination teams’ abilities with respect to techniques or new methodologies
Implementation and operational monitoring
- Plan activities and activity cycles for refuges management and coordination (hiring, purchasing, etc.) in the light of established objectives
- Used the project management, monitoring and evaluation tools for refuges management and coordination, particularly the planning and monitoring timeline
- Propose and implement quality criteria and monitoring indicators for refuges management and coordination program
- Support and advise to the base’s logistical department for the purchase of specific materials for refuges management and coordination activities
- Plan and supervise the refuges management and coordination program implementation he/she is in charge of, being sure to meet deadlines and adhere to predefined technical specifications
Supervise and provide support for the refuges management and coordination managers; monitor and evaluate the implemented refuges management and coordination activities
Anticipate any issues linked to carrying out the refuges management and coordination activities and help to resolve any problems related to the refuges management and coordination activities
Suggest any adjustments to be made to the refuges management and coordination activity depending on contextual and indicator developments
Working with the administrative department, contribute to developing budgets relative to his/her program and monitor expenses and budget forecasts
Working with given project manager, draw up requirement statuses and cash flow needs.
- Use the capitalization tools proposed by Solidarités International
- Participate in the centralization and distribution of procedures, guides and tools linked to the refuges management and coordination activities
- Capitalize on intervention methods and techniques and on the experiences acquired by Solidarités and other participants in the refuges management and coordination activities
- Write procurement and handover reports before the end of his/her contract and send it to the appropriate persons on the mission and at headquarters
- Participate in validating the hiring of national technical staff for activities
- Define the prerequisites for opened refuges management and coordination positions together with the administrative department; adapt existing job descriptions if required
- Greet and brief the expatriates working on the program
- Identify and pass on any training needs for refuges management and coordination teams
- Set up technical training depending on refuges management and coordination operational needs and identified training requirements
- Manage and support the team under his/her responsibility
- Lead work groups and thematic meetings
- Evaluate and assess the performance of colleagues under his/her direct supervision
- Ensure adherence to security regulations by personnel under his/her supervision
Reporting / communication / representation
- Pass upward to the relevant persons any information on the security situation or on any event that could impact Solidarités activities and the safety of the teams
- Draft activity reports and any annexes relating to specific activities for the financial donor reports and/or amendments
- Ensure that all reports are delivered on time and in the correct format
- Maintain a local operational communications network and good relations with local and government authorities, financial donor representatives, UN agencies and other international agencies
- In his/her assignment area, represent Solidarités International’s at meetings or forums concerning the refuges management and coordination activities
- Represent the organization when asked and/or delegated to do so
Reply to headquarter information requests regarding specific needs
In collaboration with the refuges management and coordination /program Coordinator, prepare the administrative documents (MOU, handover, etc.) to be jointly signed with government authorities, communities or partners
- Recruitment and induction of a program team
- Operationalize the partnership with the different organizations
- Deploy food supplies through partners canteen on a daily basis
- Establish a monitoring system at refuge level
- Adapt the refuges conditions to Covid 19 prevention
Priorities of the first 2 to 3 months
- Hygiene prevention COVID related for the Venezuelans stuck in Bucaramanga
- Setting up the team internally
- Establish partnership
- Project launching priorities
SI WILL OFFER YOU
An education background in one of the following sector is an asset:project management, camp coordination, protection.
Experience: at least two years of experience as program manager in a humanitarian context. An experience in CCCM or in project coordination is an asset.
Technical skills and knowledge: the program is multi-sectorial and make necessary to have good management and organizational skills above all.
Languages: Spanish and English are mandatory.
Other desirable qualities: leadership and management / coordination with partners / plannining and prioritization / flexibility / capacity to work under stress / solution making oriented