“All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment/promotions and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
IFES takes affirmative action with respect to the employment and promotion of women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. IFES will also take affirmative action on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
IFES is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor”
About the International Foundation for Election Systems (IFES): IFES advances democracy for a better future. We collaborate with civil society, public institutions and the private sector to build resilient democracies that deliver for everyone. As the global leader in the promotion and protection of democracy, our technical assistance and applied research develops trusted electoral bodies capable of conducting credible elections; effective and accountable governing institutions; civic and political processes in which all people can safely and equally participate; and innovative ways in which technology and data can positively serve elections and democracy. Since 1987, IFES has worked in more than 145 countries, from developing to mature democracies.
The greatest assets of IFES are our team members. IFES offers competitive benefits and pay, as well as the opportunity to work in a dynamic and collaborative environment. Every member of the IFES team is responsible for carrying out the mission of IFES and integrating IFES values into their work every day: Commitment to Excellence, Effective Communication, High Quality Decision-Making, Accountability, Teamwork and Collaboration.
The Program Manager is the first level management position at IFES providing management support to the program division. Specific duties will include development, technical, administrative, and Financial Management support, including briefings, covering when senior management is on travel, and mentoring staff.
- Manage execution and tactical delivery in support of project goals in the Americas.
- Participate in development of the Americas' strategic plan. Seek out Business Development opportunities for the division and manage development process, including proposal writing.
- Lead discussion with Monitoring and Evaluation team to Design and determine indicators, monitor to ensure programs are meeting indicators, and share experience with regional teams.
- Monitor and evaluate project progress and performance including reviewing deliverables and making recommendations where project activities may need to be adjusted based on M&E results.
- Provide guidance in design, implementation, evaluation, and overall management of project(s), including adherence to approved annual work plans and effectiveness of program activities.
- Provide substantive contribution to knowledge management and thought leadership.
- Alert division management of programmatic concerns, challenges, and difficulties.
- Ensure contractual compliance for department managed projects, including quality and timeliness of project deliverables.
- Establish, maintain and develop relationship with peers, subordinates, funder community and consultants at large for the purpose of business development and Information Dissemination.
- Direct staff in the timely drafting of reports and other materials and conduct final review of all project technical and narrative reports.
- Oversee budgets preparation in collaboration with C&G and approve field project expenses as appropriate.
- Oversee financial oversight of projects in collaboration and partnership with Finance Team.
- Oversee recruiting, interviewing, and hiring of domestic and field staff and consultants as needed, in consultation with Human Resources.
- Monitor pending grant/contract actions and coordinate timely action and response.
- Oversee timely procurement actions in consultation with Contracts and Grants.
- Travel to field office to oversee/monitor project activities; meet and strengthen donor and other key stakeholder relationships.
- Provide professional developmental opportunities for junior program staff, evaluate performance, and provide feedback.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required irrelevant field; Master’s degree in International Relations, political science,international development preferred.
Experience: At least 8 years of relevant experience in international development or related field. Experience with budget management and oversight of single or multiple projects. Experience managing teams.
Related Skills or Knowledge: Experienced with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint required. Experience in proposal development required, with experience in Program Management and supervisory roles. Thorough familiarity with USAID and other international donor regulations and reporting requirements preferred. Detail-oriented and organized. Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines. Strong communicator, both verbally and in writing. Collaborative, team oriented individual.
Language Skills: English and Spanish required. Proficiency in French Language a plus.
Travel: Travel up to 15% of time.
Physical requirements/work environment: Standard office work environment, with occasional field travel. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.