Program Assistant (Temporary)
Based in Washington, DC
Reports to the Program Manager
Time period: July -December 2020
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social Marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 8,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
PSI seeks a Temporary Program Assistant to support Program Management functions for the Malaria department. The Program Assistant (PA) will have wide ranging responsibilities and work with PSI staff at all levels both in Washington and overseas. The position requires flexibility and willingness to assume varied duties and projects with an emphasis on administrative and financial tasks.
The position will form part of a global backstopping team based in DC and will be expected to interact regularly with the field offices in the region, as well as other departments in Washington including Contracts, Finance, and Procurement. The ideal candidate is someone who will pro-actively meet administrative needs, can juggle multiple, competing priorities, and will enthusiastically ensure smooth and timely flow of work.
Sound like you? Read on.
The PA will have a variety of duties for different projects related to PSI’s activities. Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Provide dynamic and proactive administrative support to the Malaria team.
- Serve as the point of contact for all unit-wide requests and manage Malaria email group and SharePoint pages.
- Support the Design of tools and systems for Knowledge Management and information tracking.
- Monitor internal report Management Systems and tools.
- Manage requisitions for procurements and consultant contracts.
- Review and process vendor and consultant invoices generated through DC.
- Manage and organize departmental events such as: meetings, retreats, team building activities, etc.
- Assist with travel arrangements for staff including helping to secure visas for urgent travel, making hotel reservations, and scheduling appointments.
- Assist with review and payment of invoices and drafting of consultant contracts.
- Connect team members to resources in headquarters and at the country level.
- Assisting in creation, editing, and updating of communications materials, including one pagers, presentations, and newsletters.
- Responding to internal/external requests for information and assisting with website updates as necessary.
- Fulfill other programmatic, financial, and administrative functions as required.
What are we looking for?
What values are we looking for in an ideal candidate?
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least one year of experience working in a fast-paced office environment
- Experience living outside the United States and in multicultural environments preferred
- Advanced computer skills with strong Excel and SharePoint skills (and including MS Office applications)
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills with strong attention to detail and timeliness
- Proven ability to develop routines to manage large workloads and organize work efficiently
- Readiness to interact with a variety of people and assume diverse duties and tasks
- Written and verbal proficiency in French preferred
- References will be required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
Successful candidates will be customer service oriented, exhibit excellent communication and interpersonal skills; have proven Problem Solving ability; be able to work efficiently and quickly under pressure; be able to prioritize and perform multiple tasks; and have the ability to work with minimal supervision and follow through on assignments. Preference will be given to candidates with a demonstrated interest in international health and development issues.
Icing on the cake
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills; you feel comfortable speaking up when you have something important to say and have the ability to effectively interact with senior management.
- Mind for Process Improvement. You bring awareness and commitment to doing work effectively and efficiently. We want people who will see a way to streamline or improve a process and who won’t hesitate to share their ideas in making it happen.
- Self-Starter: You are not afraid to jump in from the start and get your hands dirty with minimal direction.
- Champion of Fun. You support the idea that the team that works hard should play hard. We like people with a team attitude who smile and encourage others through both easy and tough tasks.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202)785-0072.