Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international Development Finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and The Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate Extreme Poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Operations Planning and Coordination Division (SPOP) within the Strategy, Policy and Partnerships Department (SPD).
SPD provides ADB with strategic planning perspective and direction, ensures policy and operations coordination, and maintains institutional relations with the international development community, especially on matters relating to resource mobilization. SPD has the primary responsibility for establishing and managing partnerships with official and other concessional partners including private and public financial institutions and traditional and new development partners. SPOP ensures effective Resource Planning of ADB operations in line with the strategic priorities, clients' needs, and available financial resources. The division leads the allocation of concessional Ordinary Capital Resources (OCR), Asian Development Fund (ADF) grants, regular OCR and technical assistance resources.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The position provides advice and support to the Director, Operations Planning and Coordination Division (SPOP) and Strategy and Policy Department (SPD) management on ADB's overall operations planning and coordination issues. These include regular ordinary capital resources, concessional resources, the Asian Development Fund (ADF), technical assistance (TA) and cofinancing operations from a perspective of financing resources and from a perspective of development products. It covers loans, grants, equity investments, guarantees, trade-financing and Advisory Services in both sovereign, nonsovereign and public-private partnership operations.
The position is also expected to significantly contribute to ADB's operational planning, including advice on the associated planning for TA and monitoring ADB's knowledge agenda as well as promotion of ADB's operational objectives and targets, including identifying new mechanisms and innovation to enhance ADB's operational effectiveness.
The position will work within a framework of broad policies, principles and goals, applying a high degree of autonomy in selection of work methods.
The incumbent will report to Director, SPOP and may supervise National and Administrative staff.
- Leads implementing “collaboration”, promoting “One ADB”, and facilitating collaboration between sovereign and nonsovereign operations.
- Leads together with Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC) the ADB-wide innovation task force, promotes innovation initiatives and activities, identifies operational innovation including criteria for innovative projects, formulates innovation framework and guidance note, and proposes solutions to resolve constraints including constraints in business process, staffing and resources.
- Leads TA review, operational planning for TA; and provides advice on TA quality and policy compliance to Director, SPOP.
- Leads knowledge ADB-wide support as SPD focal.
- Contributes to the preparation of the annual Operations Resource Parameters for President's approval, the Planning Directions for approval of President, the Work Program and Budget Framework for Management's approval and discussion by the Board of Directors.
- In the context of resource planning, coordinates support to the achievement of ADB's operational objectives, in harnessing opportunities for strategy and policy direction, where opportunities arise, e.g. private sector operations and private public partnerships.
- Contributes to SPD's quality review function of selected Reports and Recommendations of the President and Project Concept Papers, including Country Partnership Strategies, and Country Operations Business Plans (COBPs)
- At the requests of SPD management, oversees and leads the preparation of presentation and other materials for meetings and presentations in areas mainly related to operations planning.
- Leads and undertakes initiatives assigned to SPD and SPOP and relevant action plans, as needed.
- Leads the preparation of background materials and supports the Operations Review Meetings, quarterly attended by senior management.
- Participates in various committees, working groups, and task forces assigned to SPD.
- Acts as a focal point for knowledge sharing and dissemination of relevant information, findings and lessons to increase awareness and knowledge in ADB about operations policies and business processes and various strategic and policy initiatives.
- Acts as a resource person for internal training and external briefings on ADB policies and procedures.
- Creates and leads multidisciplinary teams and ensure high overall quality of its work.
- Supervises the performance of reporting staff, provides clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance and ensures the ongoing learning and development of reporting staff.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
Master's Degree, or equivalent, in Economics; or University degree in Economics combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master's degree.
At least 12 years of relevant professional work experience. A strong background of knowledge of ADB or any multilateral development bank's operations is an advantage.
Significant expertise within a specific corporate operational priority, or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within corporate operational priorities.
Credible expert in field of expertise with recognized ability to lead, exercise supervision, coordinate, and plan over multi-disciplinary team/unit
Recognized ability to utilize and share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community
International experience working in several countries with experience in multilateral or bilateral agency's resident missions or field offices an advantage
Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS6.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.