The Information & Communication Technologies (ICT) team is one of five teams within the Industry, Commerce & Agribusiness Business Group at the EBRD (“the Bank”). The ICT team supports the Bank’s approach to the knowledge economy via direct investments in the ICT sector. The team (i) engages with the private and public sectors in the continued development of ICT infrastructure and high-speed broadband networks, and (ii) supports the ICT Manufacturing and services sub-sectors to enhance innovation within the industry. The team will also play an important role, together with the Equity Funds team, in looking for ways to improve the venture capital market in the Bank’s countries of operations to finance early and growth stage innovative ICT companies.
One key product in helping to develop the venture capital market is the establishment of a dedicated €250 million facility: the Venture Capital Investment Programme (“VCIP”; http://www.ebrdvcip.com/). The VCIP investment strategy is to identify and support with financing, together with co-investors, high quality entrepreneurs and management teams with innovative technologies and business models, compelling intellectual property and deep market knowledge in the Bank’s countries of operation, as they move from product development to commercialization, or from an early revenue stage to a much larger market opportunity.
A Principal Banker is sought to join the ICT team to work exclusively on the VCIP together with a dedicated VCIP team. The banker will report to the Associate Director – Head of VCIP and work in close cooperation with teams in the Bank’s Resident Offices
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
The key responsibilities and deliverables will include:
- Actively develop, build and maintain reputable market contacts in the countries of operations in order to develop a deal flow of investment opportunities and identify good quality investments meeting the Bank’s requirements.
- Lead origination, structuring and execution of new investments and proactively engage in the oversight and diligent monitoring of existing investments.
- Liaise and work with other departments within the Bank coordinating their involvement in the investment as required.
- Structure investment vehicles that are suitable for the investment objectives and strategy.
- Review complex legal agreements.
- Review and own quality control of financial and other due diligence Analysis.
- Prepare and present initial and final review documents for approval by the VCIP advisory committee and the Bank’s Small Business Investment Committee.
- Actively participate in the monitoring of investments including preparation of regular monitoring reports.
- Attend meetings of investors and represent the Bank accordingly, including at investment committees and advisory boards.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree preferred or equivalent experience in the areas of expertise.
- Relevant work experience which may include venture capital and/ or technology sector investment Banking and/or technology Management Consulting and/or strategy function within a technology corporate gained from a major investment bank, equity fund, Advisory Services or technology corporate
- A deep understanding of technology sector and a track record of working with high growth potential companies in this sector
- Broad understanding of the current issues affecting the Venture Capital market, specifically in the technology sector
- Strong research, analytical, quantitative skills and commercial acumen
- Thorough understanding of investment and Financial Analysis and their application in investment decisions and transaction structuring
- Proven business judgment and high ethical and professional standards
- Ability to manage and push through transactions to their conclusion
- Sound decision making and problem resolution skills
- Demonstrated leadership abilities while retaining ability to participate in teams
- Computer literacy, excellent spreadsheet skills
- Very good written and oral communication skills in English
- Excellent communication skills and ability to operate sensitively in multicultural environments and build effective working relations with colleagues
- Strong marketing and negotiation skills
- A professional and enthusiastic approach to working; ability to work to and meet tight deadlines in a changing environment
- Fluency in EBRD country of operation language is a distinct advantage
- High ethical and professional standards and ability to promote good business practices and Corporate Governance
- Willingness to travel to and work in EBRD countries of operations
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working.