Position title: Planning and Administrative Officer, SNFI0 Grade: PL6 Position N°: 50052201 Reference: ADB/20/079 Publication date: 17-Jun-2020 Closing date: 16-Jul-2020 Duty station: Abidjan, Côte d'IvoireApply Now
ObjectivesTHE BANK: Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. THE COMPLEX: The Senior Vice-Presidency (SNVP) is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results. The SNVP will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions. The SNVP will lead Senior Management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of key Board and Management decisions. THE HIRING DEPARTMENT: The SVP supervises the Fiduciary and Inspection Department (SNFI), which acts as the custodian of the procurement (including procurement for private and public partnership) and financial management (FM) profession, and has the following responsibilities for its functions: (i) developing and interpreting policy, strategy and related guidance notes and manuals; (ii) preparing annual post review reports on the Bank’s FM and procurement operations for the Board; (iii) developing training strategy for internal and external clients; (iv) and dialoguing with external and global partners with a view to building partnerships and fostering harmonization; (v) providing the secretariat for the Procurement Review Committee (PRC); and (vi) inspecting and reporting on the performance of procurement and FM activities undertaken by the regions. THE POSITION: The Planning and Administrative Officer will:
- Act as Budget focal person in SNFI department in charge of (i) coordinating the preparation the department’s and Divisions’ administrative budget based on the annual work programs agreed upon and (ii) monitoring the use of resources and the cost centres according to the Bank’s rules and regulations;
- Liaise regularly with the Operations Complexes on a regular basis to ensure availability of budget to finance effective participation of fiduciary teams in the projects cycle;
- Providing Management with timely monitoring information and statements and prepare accordingly regular follow up of KPls along with budget execution; and budget-related annual activity reports.
Duties and responsibilitiesUnder the supervision and guidance of the Director, the Planning and Administrative Officer will:
- Liaise with the SNFI department’s front office and divisions with a view to gather information about the annual work programs and prepare accordingly the department’s administrative budget;
- Based on the operations-related divisions’ work programs, liaise with the operations Complexes Budget Focal point and SNVP Budget Coordinators to ensure availability of resources for providing effective fiduciary support during preparation and appraisal missions, including country strategy papers.
- Provide administrative support, including preparation of administrative and budget forms and processing of requests in SAP.
- Liaise with the SNVP Budget Coordinator on a continuous basis to anticipate on budget issues; identify and initiate measures for mobilization of additional resources putting forth efficiency requirement.
- Work with the Divisions Managers to ensure proper programming and timely implementation of SNFI Work Program.
- Provide administrative assistance to PL and GS staff in logistical arrangements for the planning of activities, including support to the recruitment of consultants and preparation and execution of training activities, in accordance with budget provisions
- Advise Management in a timely manner to ensure maximization of departmental resource allocation.
- Release regular updates of work program and budget utilisation levels based on the processing schedule.
- Prepare informative annual activity reports; monthly KPls reports; and monthly budget execution reports; and ad hoc reports.
- Assist staff in logistical arrangements for training activities while ensuring compliance with budget execution process; Participate in Bank missions, where necessary.
- Manage the P-Card allocated to SNFI department.
- Manage the process for the recruitment and use of consultants, payments of fees for services.
- Manage the recruitment of short-term staff and all related administrative activities to ensure proper STS contract management.
- Perform any other task entrusted by the Department’s Management.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Business Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Human Resources, Office Management, or any other related discipline combined with relevant experience.
- Have a minimum of four (4) years relevant experience in the fields of expertise concerned.
- Good knowledge of the international development institutions’ budget management policies, guidelines, procedures, and strong ability to interpret institutional related policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Proven knowledge of the Bank’s procurement rules and procedures for the recruitment of consultants; of disbursement procedures; and of financial management guidelines and tools, is a must.
- Solid background on budget process and financial reporting. Experience in international organizations will be an asset.
- Good organizational and planning skills.
- Strong customer service skills, ability to multitask, attention to detail and ability to work with a diverse workforce
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language. Proficiency in both languages of the Bank (English and French) is an asset
- Competence with standard MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), preferably combined with knowledge and experience of SAP operations.