The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide Emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with Local Communities, we strive for responsible and Sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Iraq since 2003 and in Northern Iraq since 2010. It is currently implementing a broad range of activities relevant to conflict affected communities and persons. The activities are categorized in ten sectors: Shelter and Non-food Items, Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH), Livelihoods, Protection, Mine Risk Education, Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM).
About the job::
To ensure compliance with minimum hygiene standards at the DRC Community Support Centre in compliance with DRC Centre Cleaning Checklist
- Training rooms: armchairs, tables, light switches, door handles, cleaning floor with are disinfected daily as a priority
- Disinfect desks, armchairs, light switches, door handles and other commonly used surfaces
- Sweep the floors and stairs (taking care not to damage electrical equipment on the floor such as UPS, electrical wire etc.), including containers
- Clean the office sinks, toilets, and washrooms. Monitor bathrooms hourly
- Clean general surfaces in the kitchen
- Refill soap dispensers, toilet papers, hand towels if needed. Ensure soap is always available .
- Ensure that Centre’s surroundings are clean
Bi - Weekly tasks
- Ensure watering of the plants
- Water Cleaning of the stairs
- Clear and dispose of the rubbish from Centre as required
- Maintain garden areas
- Windows cleaning
- Cleaning of cupboards, walls and deep cleaning of general surfaces
- Cleaning Checklist must be signed and completed on a daily basis. In case that some tasks are not completed, they will be followed up on the next day
- Safety procession should be taken and PPE (Protective Personal Equipment) should be used as instructed
- Supervisors should be informed of any repairs, replacements required of maintenance equipment or any gaps in cleaning materials
- Poor maintenance of kitchen areas and center space should be reported directly to the Supervisor
- Any other related duty assigned by the line manager might be allocated
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- 6 months -1 years of experience in cleaning the building or related work
- Proven working experience as a cleaner
- Ability to handle heavy equipment and machinery
- Knowledge of cleaning chemicals and supplies
- Strong ability to organize work, maintain composure, work independently, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail
- Flexibility in working overtime when needed
- Willing to collaborate with and support people from different ethnic groups and different religions
- Demonstrated interest in humanitarian work and supporting people effected by conflict
- Previous experience in cleaning field.
- Fluent in writing and reading in the Arabic language
- Good communication and negotiation skills.
- Good standard of dress and personal appearance.
- Familiarity with humanitarian principles and practices is an advantage
- Experience of working with UN or Non-Governmental Organizations.
- Understanding of gender, protection and Human Rights
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
- Contract length: 6 months with possibility of extension subject to funds
- Salary Band: K
- Designation of duty station: Tel Afer / Zummar
- Start date: 28/06/2020.
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies. .
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking or on the apply button.
Closing date for applications: 17th June 2020. Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.