The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) is the premier multilateral development institution within Latin America and the Caribbean Region. At the IDB, the region is divided into four country departments responsible for the oversight of their operations. The Caribbean Country Department (CCB) has a regional office based in Jamaica, country offices located in Barbados, Guyana, Suriname, The Bahamas, and Trinidad and Tobago, and an office located at the Headquarters of the IDB Group in Washington DC.CCB is transforming the way it conducts business to effectively and efficiently serve its clients. The department strives to improve lives in the Caribbean by creating vibrant and sustainable economies where people are safe, productive, and happy. Therefore, we are seeking a highlymotivated individual with demonstrated leadership, project and portfolio management, and analytical credentials to fill the position of Operations Specialist or Senior Associate in our office in Washington DC.The most suitable candidate will demonstrate enthusiasm for development and be able to lead change, have excellent verbal and written communication skills, be creative good at relationship building, and have strong project and portfolio management skills. Further, s/he must be driven, a great teammate, and a high-energy professional with digital literacy skills. S/he should also have an agile mindset with interest in using real-time, iterative approaches to meet client needs, all withthe aim of promoting innovative solutions to corporate and regional development challenges.The candidate will report directly to the Regional Operations Advisor and must demonstrate a holistic understanding of the IDB Group’s operations lifecycle.The team’s mission:CCB is responsible for the promotion and development of the IDB Group country strategies and programming in The Bahamas, Barbados, Guyana, Jamaica, Suriname, and Trinidad and Tobago. The department supports the processing, negotiation, and Administration of regional and country specific projects and programs; leading and maintaining the relations of the IDB Group with member countries; supporting the implementation of country-specific operations; promoting and coordinating the use of the funds administered by the Bank or under parallel financing agreements and monitoring the operation-related procurement activities of Bank borrowers and beneficiaries.What you will do:
- Coordinate the processes that support the mobilization of additional finance towards sustainable development in Caribbean countries.
- Define and manage an efficient project management process, including pipeline and portfolio management.
- Champion ongoing process improvement initiatives to implement best practices for Agile Project Management.
- Acquire data from primary or secondary data sources, interpret data, analyze results and provide ongoing reports.
- Develop, implement and maintain databases, Data Collection systems. Use Data Analytics and other strategies and tools that optimize statistical efficiency and quality; and work with management to prioritize business and information needs.
- Research political and economic trends and participate in strategic and policy dialogues between the IDB Group, clients and other stakeholders to identify operational opportunities and risks.
- In collaboration with Country Offices, support the identification of areas where IDB operations could support expansion of NSG activity (and vice-versa) through upstream work on regulation, institution-building, or market development.
- Define project scope and schedule while focusing on regular and timely delivery of value; organize and lead project status and working meetings; prepare and distribute progress reports; manage risks and issues; correct deviations from plans; and perform delivery planning for assigned projects.
- Promote a client-centric approach to responding to national and regional needs while being knowledgeable of IDB Group policies, requirements and procedures to deliver high quality and impact.
- Plan, lead, organize and motivate agile project teams to achieve high levels of performance and quality in delivering projects that provide exceptional business value to the clients.
- Play a consultative role in deploying appropriate people, process and tools. Coach members of the team as needed to optimize the efficiency of the project team.
- Coach and facilitate the preparation, monitoring and evaluation of country and regional strategies for the IDB Group in the Caribbean; help identify cooperation and priority areas for IDB interventions in each country and identify market segments where IDB operations can have high levels of development impact.
- Coach, support and provide guidance in the Coordination of country teams to manage the respective pipeline and portfolio of projects.
- Analyze, inform, raise alerts and recommend actions on a regular basis in relation to the status of the portfolio.
- Review key project documents focusing on lessons learned and success stories that can be incorporated into the design of new projects in collaboration with country offices and project teams.
- Support and recommend improvements to portfolio review processes to ensure development impact while maintaining compliance with IDB guidelines.
- Be an agent of change, participate in innovative initiatives that increase efficiency and collaboration between CCB offices and between CCB and the rest of the IDB Group.
What you will need:- Education: You hold a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Economics, International Relations, Development, Public Policy, Business Administration, or related field. Certification in Agile Methodologies and/or Project Management is desired. - Experience: You have at least four (4) or three (3) years of relevant experience, depending on the grade, in management of projects financed by multilateral development institutions or other international donors.Knowledge of IDB Group operation lifecycle and compliance requirements essential. Demonstrated leadership, facilitation, Conflict Resolution, continuousbusiness process improvement, team empowerment and information and communication transparency skills.Demonstrated knowledge of a range of on-line and off-line digital communications tools to create and disseminate business content is required. Hands-on experience using digital technologies and content Management Systems with demonstrated knowledge on digital audience analytics, collection of business and system requirements, and reporting is desired. - Languages: You have excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Oral and written proficiency in a second Bank language (Spanish, French, or Portuguese) is also required. Citizenship: You are a citizen of one of our 48-member countries. Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB Group. Core and Technical Competencies:Link to Technical Competencies (← please Ctrl + Click)Link to Core Competencies (← please Ctrl + Click)Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all expression of interest. Opportunity Summary: Type of contract: Fixed TermLength of contract: 3 yearsStarting date: July 16th, 2020Location: Washington, DC Our culture: Our people are committed and passionate about improving lives in Latin-America and the Caribbean, and they get to do what they love in a diverse, collaborative and stimulating work environment. We are the first Latin American and Caribbean development institution to be awarded the EDGE certification, recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality. As an employee you can be part of internal resource groups that connect our diverse community around common interests. We encourage women, afro-descendants, people of indigenous origins, and persons with disabilities to apply. About us: At the IDB, we’re committed to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives. Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic and its implications for our Region, the IDB Group is reviewing its hiring needs and re-prioritizing its areas of talent acquisition. We encourage candidates to continue to apply to the active postings, yet current job openings may be subject to further decisions in terms of timing of the processes, or other actions, in accordance with business needs. Final hiring decisions may also be conditioned to the candidate’s ability to timely relocate to the post of duty at the moment of starting service. Additional Information