Operations Lead Specialist or Senior Specialist (CCB Experience Centre Lead/Senior Specialist)
The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) is the premier multilateral development institution within Latin America and the Caribbean Region. At the IDB, the region is divided into four country departments responsible for the promotion and development of country strategies, the programming of operations, and the management of resources and of their respective portfolio of operations. The Caribbean Country Department (CCB) has a regional office based in Jamaica, country offices located in Barbados, Guyana, Suriname, The Bahamas, and Trinidad and Tobago, and an office located at the Headquarters of the IDB Group in Washington DC.
CCB is transforming the way it conducts business to effectively and efficiently serve its clients. The department strives to improve lives in the Caribbean by creating vibrant and sustainable economies where people are safe, productive, and happy. Therefore, we are seeking a highly motivated individual, with demonstrated leadership, project management and analytical credentials, to fill the position of CCB Virtual Experience Center Team Leader (Lead Specialist/Senior Specialist) in our office in Washington DC or one of the IDB’s CCB Country Offices. The CCB Virtual Experience Center Team will provide operational services to all six Country Offices in the Region -including the Department hub in Jamaica-, regardless of the geographical location of resources, through modern and agile process and systems, operating with Information Technology to enable collaboration and delivery in the virtual space.
The most suitable candidate will demonstrate enthusiasm for development and be able to lead change, have excellent verbal and written communication skills, be creative, good at relationship building, and have strong project management skills. Further, s/he must be driven, a great teammate and high energy professional with digital literacy skills. S/he should also have an agile mindset with interest in using real-time, iterative approaches to meet client needs, all with the aim of promoting innovative solutions to corporate and regional development challenges.
The candidate will report directly to the General Manager of CCB, and support initiatives focused on creating and operating CCB’s future operational model.
The team’s mission:
CCB is responsible for the promotion and development of the IDB Group country strategies and programming in The Bahamas, Barbados, Guyana, Jamaica, Suriname, and Trinidad and Tobago. The department supports the processing, negotiation, and Administration of regional and country specific projects and programs; leading and maintaining the relations of the IDB Group with member countries; supporting the implementation of country-specific operations; promoting and coordinating the use of the funds administered by the Bank or under parallel financing agreements, as well as monitoring the operation-related procurement activities of Bank borrowers and beneficiaries.
What you will do:
As the leader of the newly created CCB Virtual Experience Center, a regional talent pool with the ability to be deployed across the region and functions, the selected candidate will engage in the following activities:
- Lead the start-up, operations, and performance of the CCB Virtual Experience Center to provide quality and efficient service to all business units, while coordinating with CCB management teams to ensure that core business functions are performed effectively.
- Provide insight into the day-to-day operations, technologies, policies, and procedures which will govern the Center. Establish quality control mechanisms to maintain a high-level of service and operations.
- Manage the processes and systems focused on building and mobilizing the highest caliber teams to deliver results to clients for complex issues. Oversee the efficient allocation of all professionals for virtual work and ensure assignments are made in a fair and equitable way through the establishment of a continuous improvement process.
- Develop and maintain a catalog of services offered based on business unit needs and skillsets of the professionals in the Center, including but not limited to the following, economics, quantitative Analysis, project management, operations support, administration and Communication Support, and other related tasks promoting operational efficiencies and service improvements.
- Publicize the offerings of the Center to all business units, including in-person sessions and digital channels e.g., Slack or SharePoint, highlighting success stories and lessons learned.
- Oversee service delivery and the day-to-day operations of the Center, ensuring that all standards and key performance metrics are met, and procedures are followed.
- Review and monitor Center trends and problem areas, report on risks, key performance indicators, and propose corrective actions and/or innovative approaches.
- Define and ensure the implementation of Service-Level Agreements; set standards for quality and ensure that operational activities are implemented in accordance with approved procedures, guidelines and IDB policies.
- Address, in Coordination with task and project teams, performance management and Human Resource issues in a professional and confidential manner.
- Establish and maintain a close working relationship with all CCB business units in Headquarters and in the region, liaising on issues in services and ensuring client satisfaction.
- Play a consultative role, coordinate and recommend putting in place appropriate people, process and tools, and coach team members as needed to optimize project team efficiency.
- Develop reports, share trends and provide guidance regarding workforce analysis and planning based on data gathered as part of the requested services of the Center.
- Use agile methodology standards for continued business improvement activities and procedures, including regularly holding retrospective sessions and After-Action Reviews.
- Coordinate with other IDB Group departments to continuously improve the Center’s platform, including integrations with other Bank systems and addition of enhanced functionality.
- Establish and manage a maintenance program for the Center’s platform and identify a cadre of super-users and/or Champions to support adoption, continued use and issue resolution.
- Recommend and implement future operating model channels by embedding new ways of working into CCB’s culture.
What you will need:
Education: You hold a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Business Administration or Public Administration, Economics, Law or related field. Certification in Agile training and/or project management is required.
Experience: You have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience. Experience in the field is a plus as well as deep knowledge of the Caribbean culture. Experience managing and leading cross-functional teams. Demonstrated high-level of awareness of IDB Group policies, procedures, and operations. Experience with human resource matters, including recruitment, hiring, staffing, and performance management.
Other requirements: Passion for development, leading change, excellent verbal and written communication skills, natural facilitator, creative, relationship building, and strong policy skills. Demonstrated digital-first mindset, with a track record of introducing innovative technologies or ways of working into an organization and building sustained adoption.
Languages: You have excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Oral and written proficiency in a second Bank language (Spanish, French, or Portuguese) is also required.
Citizenship: You are a citizen of one of our 48-member countries.
Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB Group.
Core and Technical Competencies:
Link to Technical Competencies (← please Ctrl + Click)
Link to Core Competencies (← please Ctrl + Click)
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Length of contract: 3 years
Starting date: July 16th, 2020
Our culture: Our people are committed and passionate about improving lives in Latin-America and the Caribbean, and they get to do what they love in a diverse, collaborative and stimulating work environment. We are the first Latin American and Caribbean development institution to be awarded the EDGE certification, recognizing our strong commitment to Gender Equality. As an employee you can be part of internal resource groups that connect our diverse community around common interests.
We encourage women, afro-descendants, people of indigenous origins, and persons with disabilities to apply.
About us: At the IDB, we’re committed to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all expression of interest.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic and its implications for our Region, the IDB Group is reviewing its hiring needs and re-prioritizing its areas of talent acquisition. We encourage candidates to continue to apply to the active postings, yet current job openings may be subject to further decisions in terms of timing of the processes, or other actions, in accordance with business needs. Final hiring decisions may also be conditioned to the candidate’s ability to timely relocate to the post of duty at the moment of starting service.